cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Buying A New TV - Advice

Hi,  I've decided to buy a new TV.  I've narrrowed it down to a Samsung or LG.  Any advice would be much appreciated.  Cheers @Anonymous User

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'd suggesting getting one with as little bells and whistles as possible.

LED, 1080p with a minimum of 3 HDMIs is all you need. Whatever smart tech you get integrated will be out of date in 6 months and unsupported in two years. You'll want to keep the TV for at least 5. Let the NOW TV box and other future devices be the cheap smart part.

I've had my Samsung 32" F5000 for 18 months and been very pleased with it, my only wish was at least one more HDMI port.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi,  I've decided to buy a new TV.  I've narrrowed it down to a Samsung or LG.  Any advice would be much appreciated.  Cheers @Anonymous User

Hi @Anonymous User

Well if you want nowTV on your TV you need to buy an LG, but of course you know that already.

You need to decide what size of TV you want You also need to decide whether you want 4K or not. If you're going to buy 4K TV I would suggest you make sure that it is a 2015 model as some of the older 4K TVs have some limitations which will come back to bite you further down the line. Of course buying a 2015 TV is going to make things more expensive.

The advice I always give the people when they're buying new things is to decide what their budget is first then I can buy the best piece of kit possible for that budget instead of going out and buying something because it's cheap and looks nice. Because if you buy something because it's cheap, there is always a catch.  If you're going to buy cheap you need to find out what that catch is and determine whether you can live with it

I would actually suggest an LG TV because LG uses passive 3D (the same type you get at the cinema So the glasses are 10 a penny) instead of active 3D.

Hope that helps Smiley Happy

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'd suggesting getting one with as little bells and whistles as possible.

LED, 1080p with a minimum of 3 HDMIs is all you need. Whatever smart tech you get integrated will be out of date in 6 months and unsupported in two years. You'll want to keep the TV for at least 5. Let the NOW TV box and other future devices be the cheap smart part.

I've had my Samsung 32" F5000 for 18 months and been very pleased with it, my only wish was at least one more HDMI port.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I recently got a new LG (55UF850V) and absolutely love it. The picture quality is fantastic, sound is good and connectors are good.

To be honest, I only really got it because I wanted something at that screen size and it was on offer through work, but I am pleased to have one of the first properly 4K ready models, and have used 3D a little bit too.

I do agree with @Anonymous User though - I rarely use the smart TV functions. I've got a PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One and Sky box connected to it, so I don't really need all the apps it has built in.

I'd highly reccommend LG overall though, and that's coming from somebody who would never buy anything but Sony until not long ago.

Cheers,

Tom

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

Thanks for that, I've got an LG at the moment & always been pleased with it, I'll give that model a lookSmiley Happy

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I have are Samsung UE325500H

I have to agree with @Anonymous User on the smart functions. The only thing I use the smart functions on my TV for is Amazon instant video, but that's because Amazon are overly picky about the devices they support. Smiley Mad Amazon don't even support Roku in the UK which is annoying as you would then have the big three streaming services on one device. I consider now TV to be one of the big three.

For everything else. I don't actually use the TV I don't even use it for actually receiving digital terrestrial TV the youview box does that.  I also have a Roku 3 4200EUA in my room(Which I only got on 4th August) connected to the AV receiver.

The NowTV Box (black) Is now in the back room. Which means I no longer have an active white now TV box. It feels like the end of an era Smiley Sad

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @commanda6

I too am in agreement about the smart functions, as from TVs I've looked at the apps aren't that good and don't tend to get updated as they would on a set top box.  It seems however, you get them whether you want them or not, I've not seen any "dumb" TVs.  I'll probably go with LG as Samsung's selling point seems to be the range of apps they offer.

DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

commanda6 wrote: Amazon don't even support Roku in the UK which is annoying as you would then have the big three streaming services on one device.

Amazon isn't on the Roku in the UK because Sky are an investor in Roku and keep Amazon off the device.  Amazon are on the Roku in the US.

It's likely that Now TV isn't on Amazon Fire TV because of this, in a tit-for-tat move.

I wish Amazon and Sky would put aside their differences, because everyone would benefit.  From an outsider's perspective, they just look petty.

If this has solved your issue please mark this as an accepted solution.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

BicBasher
Elite

I'm a heavy user of the Smart TV functions of my current LG tv which I've had for nearly a year.    The internet browser I use to watch tv streams from France, while the apps I use for iPlayer, Now TV and Netflix.

However, if the tv becomes obsolete for the smart features, I'll probably end up buying an Apple TV streaming box so I can continue to watch Now TV at 50hz and have white and black Now TV boxes along with Chromecast as back-ups.

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Nice comments @BicBasher. I should add that although I don't really use the smart functions, the WebOS layout on the LG model I have is brilliant, with the apps simple to access and organise. The TV seems powerful enough to run them smoothly as well, which I've had issues with in the past with other models.

Cheers,

Tom