cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Broadband activation date?

I recently decided to switch my broadband over from Sky to NowTV. I did both at the same time so I could coordinate things a little. When placing my order with NowTV on 06/04, it gave me an 'activation date' of 20/04 - So I cancelled my Sky broadband for the same date. 

Since then, when I track my order, it gives me no detail on when I might expect my NowTV box delivery (helpfully says "we're getting it ready...). Nor does it give me an anticipated activation date.

Does anyone have any ideas when this might be? I wouldn't have cancelled Sky so soon if I wasn't given today's date when I made the purchase. Now I'm left with no broadband whilst working from home - it cut out this morning whilst I was giving a presentation and I had to continue on my phone!

Guess I'll be using up my mobile data this month....

6 REPLIES 6
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

When you refer to Now TV box, can I assume you are talking about the router for broadband?

The company also dropped thew "TV" from its name, so it is just "NOW". 

According to the FAQ re "broadband activation" you should receive the router a couple days before the line goes live.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/i-ve-ordered-now-broadband-what-happens-next

Your Hub will arrive a few days before your line is activated. It'll be delivered by Royal Mail, and we'll give you a link to track the delivery.

Keep in mindYou'll need to wait until your line is activated before setting up your Hub.

It also goes on to say don't cancel your broadband until your up and running with NOW broadband.

Switching from a cable broadband provider, like Virgin Media? To make sure you don't lose your broadband service, only cancel your cable broadband service after NOW Broadband is up and running.

If you're switching from a non-cable provider (like Sky, BT or Plusnet) we'll work with your current provider to transfer your phone line. Your current broadband service will be cancelled automatically when your line is switched over to NOW Broadband, so you don’t need to do anything.

If I were you, call the broadband team to see what can be done.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-broadband-complaint1

How to submit your complaint:

• Give us a call on 08007591213 to speak directly to a NOW advisor.
FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Gavs, yes I meant the router. 

Fair enough - though they are clearly still transitioning since their site domain reads Now TV, as does their name in my most recent emails.

A little frustrating since I was dealing with Sky at the time who also advised that if Now had given me that date for activation, then all should be good to go, especially given their parent/subsidiary relationship. But hey ho, I'll get in touch, thanks for the link/number.

Daniel. 

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User   @gavs82008 for Info

Hey DSC

I get the feeling you made a mistake when you believed you had to cancel your old ISP when signing up for your new one. So unless things have changed over the past few years, it has alway been the job of the new ISP to cancel the old one and take care of the switch over.

And I'm guessing you have now found out why this is the normal practice. Personally, I've been through more than half a dozen ISPs (more like 12) in my time and, apart from one of them, I've never had to contact the ISP I was leaving, my new ISP always handled and sorted out the change over.

Anyway, hope you get it all sorted.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Bob.

I've not changed providers in about 8 years, been with sky the entire time I've lived in my current house, and was with a different provider before that the entire time I lived in my old flat. 

Understandable but frustrating, since I was having a a live discussion with a Sky rep and that was their advice. Not particularly clear during the purchase/checkout process either - not enough that I took notice anyway. 

Not the end of the World but definitely a pain. Lesson learned!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @ukbobboy  - Any ideas on how long it might usually take from point of order to receiving router and subsequent activation? Initially placed my order on 06/04 - I wouldn't have thought the process would take more than 14 days but that has passed without any update from Now, other than "we're getting it ready"...

Thanks!

Daniel. 

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User    & @gavs82008  for Info

Hi Dan

Didn't expect to hear from you again, and I know your question is more in hope than expecting a definitive answer.

OK, I'm guessing that you know, as well as I do, that Covid 19 has put the kibosh  on all normal working processes throughout the country and the world. So if NOW can't get an answer from OpenReach, the organisation they have a contractual obligation with, then there is no way this side of the pearly gates I could possibly answer your question.

However, if NOW cannot supply you with your service by the date they've given you then I believe they may have to pay you £5.00 per day under OFCOM rules.

But before you start counting the £££, check with Resolver, they may be able to help you out (and confirm the £5.00 a day rule):

https://www.resolver.co.uk/complaints/telecoms-complaints

UK Bob