cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Brilliant broadband my ######

I pay £18 for nothing basically, constant cutting off I’ll be in the middle of a movie on Netflix and it will just buffer, can’t even use my phone with the WiFi as everything is so slow! I’ve contacted them 3 times and just told me to ‘restart my box’ which I have done and it doesn’t do anything, had this WiFi for nearly a year now and it’s been the same throughout need it sorting or will not be renewing 

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

Every broadband provider's wifi router I've ever tried has been total rubbish at providing a decent wifi signal. First thing I'd try is to get a mesh network setup. I use two tp-link M4s in my semi but there are many options available at Argos, Amazon and so on.

Assuming you've sorted your wifi signal out then it's gonna be either the network or your ISPs servers at fault.

I'd always have movie buffering issues with another big provider and their network was totally fibre and in theory the speed is way faster than the streaming requirements.

So I switched to NOWTv ADSL - VDSL fibre not available in my area - for £18 monthly I wasn't expecting great things but it was half the price and couldn't be any worse. Well for the first eight months things were brilliant. I could watch movies from AppleTV, Prime, Netflix, NOWTv without any buffering ever on any device all over the house. Then problems with my broadband began happening but the issue turned out to be the Openreach network not NOWTv servers.

When my broadband disconnected I ran the NOWTv account technical checks on my mobile which told me to call NOWTv. They ran a line check and said there was a problem with my phone line. They had to send out an Openreach engineer out three times in total.

Openreach visit #1 No changes made - result: broadband still disconnecting

Openreach visit #2 Did line checks from the master socket, said there was an intermittent fault, changed the master socket, but still a line fault so it's located outside the house - result: broadband still disconnecting

Openreach visit #3 Checked the cabinet, then went to the exchange. Changed the twisted pair wire from the exchange to the cabinet. Apparently there are loads of spare wires. The line fault went away - result: broadband working great

So it could be your Openreach network at fault.