cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Boost pass - should this give HD channel?

Hi, 

I’ve got sky sports package (11 channels) and trying the boost pass. 

Should this give another 11 channels of sports HD? 

I’ve only got non HD sports channels. 

Used the online help but going round in circles 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User you won't get another 11 channels. The 11 channels are simply viewed in HD.

If, on your TV guide, there is no HD next to the channel name it could be for a number of reasons.

What device are you using? NowTV stick, Roku, an app integrated to your TV, laptop?

When did you take out the boost?

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps wrote:

Hi @commanda6 

I have been a NOW Boost member since the outset and never seen my 50fps supported devices top out more than a figure of 7831 when watching any of the six Sky Sports live channels over either Ethernet or WiFi and i am definitely seeing 1080p 50fps on these six channels and 1080p 25fps with 7831 on the other remaining five live Sky Sports channels.

Just wondering have you seen this figure of 11,000 on your devices when watching NOW Sports with Boost ?

I am sensitive to 25fps and can't watch fast action sports at 25fps (i have moaned about this many times of the Community Forum).

Hi @schnapps 

This figure comes from general knowledge I have gained from encoding videos and h264 over the years.

As a general rule 50% of the videos bit rate will come from resolution and the other 50% will come from frame rate. Therefore, if the quality rating for 1080p 25 FPS is 7830 (bitrate of 7830Kbps or 7.83Mbps) . Then the 50 FPS screen should be roughly 50% on top of that due to the frame rate being doubled. Therefore, a 50 FPS should be more than 11,000 if we wanted to be specific 11745 (11745Kbps or 11.745Mbps)

Although what I've said above is a a general rule things don't always work out  that. But you wouldn't be able to go from 25 FPS to 50 FPS without significantly increasing the overall bitrate of a video stream 

But what I have said above is in line with 'now's own help article with regard to what it says is required in terms of Internet connection speed for 1080p streams as 'now' suggests a connection speed of 12Mbps for 1080p streams, one assumes, taking the general rule above into account that this relates to 50 FPS streams. As the recommended speed is well above what would be required through 25 FPS stream

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Imagine having to pay to "boost" for 1080p on an awful DRM filled client with fluctuating bitrate and Issues LOL Imagine not even gettting 4k

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @commanda6 

Maybe somebody from NOW could chip in here ?

Where it seems the figure you see when you press the info button on the remote is not an accurate reference point when it comes to 25fps or 50fps playback on NOW.

I can spot 25fps playback on fast action sports a mile away and where i can i try to avoid it, that's why i don't watch much NOW Sports on Demand and Bonus Sports Streams fixed at 25fps (unless i have too because i missed it live on one of the six Sky Sports 50fps streams).

Since NOW Sports on Demand and Bonus Streams was introduced i can count the number of times i have used it on one hand.