cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Boost pass - should this give HD channel?

Hi, 

I’ve got sky sports package (11 channels) and trying the boost pass. 

Should this give another 11 channels of sports HD? 

I’ve only got non HD sports channels. 

Used the online help but going round in circles 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User you won't get another 11 channels. The 11 channels are simply viewed in HD.

If, on your TV guide, there is no HD next to the channel name it could be for a number of reasons.

What device are you using? NowTV stick, Roku, an app integrated to your TV, laptop?

When did you take out the boost?

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User you won't get another 11 channels. The 11 channels are simply viewed in HD.

If, on your TV guide, there is no HD next to the channel name it could be for a number of reasons.

What device are you using? NowTV stick, Roku, an app integrated to your TV, laptop?

When did you take out the boost?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, 

I’m using the now app on Sony Oled.

I’ve read another thread and signed out of the app and back in and the HD is now showing on the menus and the stream quality shows 7831 on the actual picture. 

Doesn’t show HD logo when actually watching sky sports but presume it’s working.

thanks for your reply 

Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User the on-screen logo when watching the live channels no longer says 'HD'. No idea why but sky dropped it about a year ago.

On the TV guide it should still have the 'HD' next to the channel name.

You should also notice that 6 of the channels are broadcasting at 50fps which makes the picture much smoother.

Any way, glad it's working for you.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you 😊

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Saint1976 wrote:

@Anonymous User the on-screen logo when watching the live channels no longer says 'HD'. No idea why but sky dropped it about a year ago.

On the TV guide it should still have the 'HD' next to the channel name.

You should also notice that 6 of the channels are broadcasting at 50fps which makes the picture much smoother.

Any way, glad it's working for you.

@Saint1976 . The on-screen channel logo to signify HD has never been used on now TV. This is likely because of the streaming system that nowTV uses is variable bit rate. This means the system will give you a quality level that suits your Internet connection up to a maximum stream quality level of roughly 7830 for the 25 FPS channels (if you have a boost membership and a suitable Internet connection) and should be over 11,000 on the 50 FPS channels (if you have a boost membership  and the suitable Internet connection) . If your Internet connection is having a bad day, you won't get this is likely the reason why the channels aren't marked with the on-screen logo as 'Now' probably does not want to misrepresent what people are getting

From what @Anonymous User said they are getting 7831 . This means they are getting 1080p full HD but are probably watching a 25 FPS channel

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

You guys are better then customer services! 

All 11 channels are 7831.

How can you check if the channel is a 50 FPS or 25 FPS.

Ive checked broadband speed and its 39. 

Im watching it on WiFi, would it improve noticeable if I connected the TV directly to the intervener router? 

Thanks

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

You guys are better then customer services! 

All 11 channels are 7831.

How can you check if the channel is a 50 FPS or 25 FPS.

Ive checked broadband speed and its 39. 

Im watching it on WiFi, would it improve noticeable if I connected the TV directly to the intervener router? 

Thanks

Hi @Anonymous User 

unfortunately , some devices don't support 50 FPS at the moment. But from what you said you using a Sony android Smart TV aren't you? This is the case. 50 FPS should be supported.

Have a look at the following articles to give you a bit more background

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-highest-streaming-quality-for-my-device

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-now-boost

It might be that only programming which is being broadcast live on the channels, such as a football match or an F1 race is broadcast at the 50 FPS. It's possible that pre-recorded programming might be 25 FPS which would explain the lower quality rating. Although don't quote me on matters I'm not entirely sure.

Is your Internet connection is 39 Mbps , then your base Internet connection is not the cause of the problem. It is possible, however, that the fact that you are using Wi-Fi could be because of problem. The best way to eliminate Wi-Fi as the cause a problem would be to try an ethernet connection, but I accept this may not be possible for you. I would however recommend if possible that if you're somebody who uses the live channels a lot, especially if you're a sports fan that if possible you use an ethernet connection rather than Wi-Fi

I hope this is of some help😀

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I've just tried it on my own Sony TV , using sky sports main event and sky sports F1 like you I am getting quality reading of  7831 , but as far as I can tell the playback was silky smooth, which would suggest to me that it was 50 FPS. I'm starting to think that there is a bizarre at bug somewhere which means the quality of the stream might be misrepresented. Because now, wouldn't be able to double the frame rate of the video stream without increasing the bitrate. 7830 or thereabouts is the bitrate for the 1080p 25 FPS streams

Hope this is of help😀

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @commanda6 

I have been a NOW Boost member since the outset and never seen my 50fps supported devices top out more than a figure of 7831 when watching any of the six Sky Sports live channels over either Ethernet or WiFi and i am definitely seeing 1080p 50fps on these six channels and 1080p 25fps with 7831 on the other remaining five live Sky Sports channels.

Just wondering have you seen this figure of 11,000 on your devices when watching NOW Sports with Boost ?

I am sensitive to 25fps and can't watch fast action sports at 25fps (i have moaned about this many times of the Community Forum).

Sports on Demand and Bonus Streams are all streamed at 25fps, which is another thing i keep moaning about on the Forum (IMO with a NOW Boost membership all aspects of NOW Sports should be provided at 50fps on supported devices).

Maybe one day it will eventually happen that 50fps will be across the board with Sports Boost. (fingers crossed).

Amazon Prime Live Sports looks much better on their streaming service at 1080p 50fps in my opinion compared to NOW Sports at 1080p 50fps.

The Amazon Prime live sports is much sharper and cleaner with no background noise when watching  their live streams (i am really impressed on what Amazon have done with their live streaming sports service and always look forward to watching their live sports streams when available).

A few people have complained about Amazon live sports buffering or pixelating, but it's been rock solid stable for me.

NOW Sports should be using Amazon Prime Live Sports (not Amazon on Demand Sports which is 25fps like NOW 😠) has the benchmark.