cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Block outbound calls

Hi.  I've just joined Now for the broadband package for a house that I am renting out via AirBnB as a facility for guests.

I HAD to take a phone line, but I want to prevent anyone using it (except for emergencies) or I could potentially  rack up a bill of thousands!   I can't see any feature that does this though.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

A

7 REPLIES 7
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hey Ms Ruby

Why not call NOW directly and ask?  Check out the following number:

0800 759 1213

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks, I tried calling them.   There is no facility to block any kind of call.  Seems a bit of an oversight to me, but there it is.

Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User looking through previous similar posts, there doesn't seem to be a facility from Now to prevent outgoing calls.

I presume your worry is that someone will plug a cheap phone into the socket and make calls.

If so, and Now can't help, consider putting a lock box over the socket. There is a cheap product called Commtel Phone Guard (see image below when logged into the community) that screws over the phone socket.

s-l1600.jpg

Worth a bit of investigation.

Alternatively, if you or someone has the basic knowledge, make a cabinet to go over the socket and house the router.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I presume your worry is that someone will plug a cheap phone into the socket and make calls.

Yes, that's the concern.  I could implement your suggestion.  Not sure it's sending the best message tom our guests, but possibly better than a £1,000 bill for calls to Auntie Noelene in Oz 😉

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User  @Saint1976 

Guys

Another thing the money conscious phone owner should consider is the ability of others to accept reverse phone calls, which I believe is much more expensive than ordinary phone calls.

Admittedly, I have no real idea how to combat this problem but it could be something that should be discussed with NOW.

Finally, and I am showing my age here, but way, way (yes, a double "way") back in the day, landlords used to be able to put a pay phone in their rental properties.  Whether this is still possible nowadays I really couldn't say but it's another possibility that could be looked into.

UK Bob

Saint1976
Elite 3

@ukbobboy payphones are still a thing. You can buy them for about £200!

The only problem you may have is the install as you'd normally have the master socket inside the unit which in most cases means moving it to an appropriate height.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

back in the day, landlords used to be able to put a pay phone in their rental properties.  

I am that old too!

However, the point is that I don't want a phone line in the property at all, but have to have one as part of getting Now broadband (in fact, any broadband, as we aren't served by fibre, just ADSL).