cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

Barb survey - Netflix/Amazon/Now TV

Barb have released the results of a survey estimating the number of households who subscribe to online video services.  24% of all households subscribe to either Netflix, Amazon or Now TV.

Their estimated figures are:

Netflix - 5 million households in the UK (an increase of 1.4 million since the end of 2014)

Amazon - 1.6 million households (up 0.5 million on 2014)

Now TV - just under 1 million (up 0.3 million on 2014)

Bear in mind that Now TV is intended as a service for people who don't have full Sky via a dish, so can't be compared directly to Netflix.  Sky still have more UK subscribers than Netflix.

More details here.

If this has solved your issue please mark this as an accepted solution.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

25 REPLIES 25
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

I have not read the Barb survey but I'd be interested to know if they provide separate viewing figures for TV license holders (ie: people who are more likely to view content on large screens) and non TV license holders (ie: people who are more likely to view content on small screens/computer monitors).

DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

I have not read the Barb survey but I'd be interested to know if they provide separate viewing figures for TV license holders (ie: people who are more likely to view content on large screens) and non TV license holders (ie: people who are more likely to view content on small screens/computer monitors).

I don't think they break it down into TV license holders and non-holders (i.e. those who can view live TV and those who only watch on demand).  But they do look at the devices which people do their viewing on.  I think there's a separate report for that.

Barb have recently started releasing separate viewing figures for TV shows viewed via catch up (as opposed to watching on a TV set on the day).  But that would only cover shows which are on TV and not Netflix etc.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@DarylM my guess is that people could be uncomfortable stating on a survey whether or not they have a TV Licence, for fear of reprisal.

Very interesting conversation by the way! I've been reading along 🙂

Tom

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@DarylM @Anonymous User Yeah, the TV licence is a bit of a funny subject, isn't it. It's going to make it even worse when the change goes through, which means a TV licence is required to use iPlayer.

A lot of people think that isn't enforceable, but actually it's more enforceable than people think. For a while people have been able to create online accounts with the BBC. The BBC could make it so that a BBC account is required to use iPlayer and make it so that an address has to be attached to that account. They could then potentially run a check against that address to see if it has a valid TV licence attached to it as the TV licensing authority handles all the administration for TV licensing on behalf of the BBC.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

@DarylM my guess is that people could be uncomfortable stating on a survey whether or not they have a TV Licence, for fear of reprisal.

I doubt it would be a question they would ask, since the assumption has to be that people are viewing legally. 

To be part of the viewing panel, it must surely be a requirement to have a TV licence.  But their larger surveys cover the population as a whole, so they will want to include people who don't watch TV at all.

Analysis of who doesn't own a TV can be found here.  Interestingly, take-up of SVOD in non-TV households is 19% - almost as high as the 24% in TV households.  So some people seem to be using SVOD as an alternative to traditional broadcast TV.

(I'm aware that having a TV and having a TV licence aren't the same thing)

DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

1.3 million households don't have a TV set.  19% of which use SVOD services.  So 247,000 households use SVOD on other devices as an alternative to watching on a TV set.