cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Re: Barb survey - Netflix/Amazon/Now TV

@DarylM my guess is that people could be uncomfortable stating on a survey whether or not they have a TV Licence, for fear of reprisal.

Very interesting conversation by the way! I've been reading along 🙂

Tom

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@DarylM @Anonymous User Yeah, the TV licence is a bit of a funny subject, isn't it. It's going to make it even worse when the change goes through, which means a TV licence is required to use iPlayer.

A lot of people think that isn't enforceable, but actually it's more enforceable than people think. For a while people have been able to create online accounts with the BBC. The BBC could make it so that a BBC account is required to use iPlayer and make it so that an address has to be attached to that account. They could then potentially run a check against that address to see if it has a valid TV licence attached to it as the TV licensing authority handles all the administration for TV licensing on behalf of the BBC.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
0 Thanks
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@dr_necessitor wrote:

@commanda6 yes you're description is more accurate than mine especially re debit cards, but I was trying (poorly) to focus the point on credit cards. As you say, you have to be 18 to borrow money by any method (except loan sharking presumably). So there is an implicit age check of 18 by knowing that it's a UK issued credit card. Not sure about charge cards like Amex come to think of it (although I expect one can probably still have one of those at their discretion even if aged under 16 or 18 and you're a squillionaire!). The minimum age to have a debit card can be as low as about 12 years old with some bank accounts for "juniors" I think, so yes an explicit age check would/should be done depending on card type and issuing country.

@dr_necessitor I've done a bit of digging

It seems that the minimum age for a debit card largely depends upon me organisation/bank you're getting from for some places the minimum age is 16. For others, individuals a young 11 can get a debit card in UK. 11 is a bit too young have a debit card, if you ask me, but then again what do I know .I can remember, I wasn't able to get a debit card until I was 16.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
0 Thanks

@commanda6 wrote:

@dr_necessitor I've done a bit of digging

It seems that the minimum age for a debit card largely depends upon me organisation/bank you're getting from for some places the minimum age is 16. For others, individuals a young 11 can get a debit card in UK. 11 is a bit too young have a debit card, if you ask me, but then again what do I know .I can remember, I wasn't able to get a debit card until I was 16.

Yikes! I was in my mid-20s when the first debit card I can remember was invented! (*)

(*) reference to Barclays Connect card, I think it was roughly in the early 1980s? I recall working on some IT system changes down in Northampton to accommodate it. Other debit cards were/are available. Happy days...

0 Thanks
DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

@DarylM my guess is that people could be uncomfortable stating on a survey whether or not they have a TV Licence, for fear of reprisal.

I doubt it would be a question they would ask, since the assumption has to be that people are viewing legally. 

To be part of the viewing panel, it must surely be a requirement to have a TV licence.  But their larger surveys cover the population as a whole, so they will want to include people who don't watch TV at all.

Analysis of who doesn't own a TV can be found here.  Interestingly, take-up of SVOD in non-TV households is 19% - almost as high as the 24% in TV households.  So some people seem to be using SVOD as an alternative to traditional broadcast TV.

(I'm aware that having a TV and having a TV licence aren't the same thing)

If this has solved your issue please mark this as an accepted solution.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

0 Thanks
DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

1.3 million households don't have a TV set.  19% of which use SVOD services.  So 247,000 households use SVOD on other devices as an alternative to watching on a TV set.

If this has solved your issue please mark this as an accepted solution.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

0 Thanks