cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

BBC 3 will soon be online only

Dear Forum Members

BBC has announced that to save money BBC 3 will be an online TV station, which I initially believed was a bad idea but now I think it's a good way to go.

However, I was just wondering if the BBC will develop a separate app/channel for BBC 3, like BBC News, or will it be  part of the iPlayer?

I'm just throwing the question out there.

UK Bob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BicBasher
Elite

The new BBC Three will become a brand of iPlayer.   Just like Radio 1's page, it'll have programming and exclusive content.

However, some BBC Three shows will be shown late on BBC1 and BBC2 so that you can watch on normal tv.

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy I'd expect it to remain as a channel within the iPlayer, but behave like Radio 1

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

How will the BBC3 content be distributed. Will there still be a live stream element (with fixed program times). And if so, what will the stream quality will be like?

Currently, all of the BBC's live stream content is pretty poor quality, especially when there's a lot of motion...

ukbobboy
Legend

Dear DSM & other Forum Members

You know, I totally agree with your questions, because in order for BBC 3 to work properly it would have stream pre-recorded programmes just like catch-up TV.  Live streaming, especially at peak viewing times, I believe just wouldn't work. Simply because, just like traffic during rush hour, the Internet has peak congestion times which would make "live TV" virtually impossible to watch.

However, if the "fix times" element of  the new online BBC 3 was left out then, and only then, would the channel work, similarly to the way You Tube or iPlayer works now.

UK Bob

BicBasher
Elite

The new BBC Three will become a brand of iPlayer.   Just like Radio 1's page, it'll have programming and exclusive content.

However, some BBC Three shows will be shown late on BBC1 and BBC2 so that you can watch on normal tv.

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.
caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

I hope family guy and american dad will still be shown as on the iPlayer app when it is live, we get 'due to licensing restrictions we cannot play this programme here'.

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
BicBasher
Elite

@caseyb1993 wrote:

I hope family guy and american dad will still be shown as on the iPlayer app when it is live, we get 'due to licensing restrictions we cannot play this programme here'.

@caseyb1993 New Family Guy is moving to ITV2 and will be on ITV Hub.  American Dad will also be on ITV2/Hub and older episodes of FG will be repeated on BBC Two or you can continue to watch FG on FOX via the live stream or American Dad on NOW TV Ent catch-up.

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@BicBasher Thanks! Smiley Happy

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂