cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

Authentication issues and other problems using the forum

There are a number of issues I encounter when using the forum, associated with posting, replying and moving around the forum, including authentication errors, difficulty logging out or remaining logged in, etc.

I'm mostly using a third gen iPad model number MD328B/A running iOS 9.3.5 accessing via Safari or Chrome. Issues are intermittent, don't always happen all the time, don't always happen when doing the same tasks.

If anyone has similar issues and would like to document what happens and when, maybe providing screenshots where poss, please feel free to reply. 

Alternately if if you have similar issues feel free just to leave a 'me too' message.

77 REPLIES 77
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

When attempting to reply to the thread https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Forum-Info-Off-Topic-Chat/We-ve-Got-Badges/m-p/434536#M9087 clicking reply opens up a blank Safari page with the URL

https://watch.nowtv.com/landing?securessotoken=30302d33396561373237333833326531363766613036616436623...

image.png

neither going back back or closing Safari and reopening does anything, have to force quite Safari. On opening Safari again have to log in using the Sky ID login page

image.png

and am then presented with the reply screen.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

When attempting to write previous post After typing first few words am presented with an authentication failed banner. Pressing post now does nothing. Going back and trying to go forward loses the post (no option to load or discard saved post).

image.png

Have to force quit Safari which then opens up with a Sky login page followed by the reply page. This time posting was successful. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Windows 10 tablet with the latest software updates, tried Microsoft Edge (my preferred browser for posting on the forums) Firefox, Chrome and IE 11 all with the same annoying issues.

I keep getting continually logged out of my account within a period of between 15 to say 30 minutes.

Various Authentication Errors when attempting to either open a new reply message or half way through typing a message.

When i do manage to post a new message, occasionally i can't edit it straight away and have to log out and sign in again for the edit option to appear.

I get regular freezing of the message tool box where i can't carry on typing or use the link or photo tools.

Screenshot (23).png

Screenshot (16).png

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

Using Safari (logged into forum, avatar appears top right)  when clicking the Thanks button on the post just above this one, no thanks is given and a pink authentication failed ticket mismatch  banner appears

image.png

Continuing to click thanks does nothing. Refreshing the page opens up the Sky ID login page

image.png

and clicking sign in returns to the post with thanks given correctly

ukbobboy
Legend

@Andy @schnapps

Well Guys

This is the error I posted in 29th June:

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Forum-Info-Off-Topic-Chat/Authentication-Error/m-p/431759/highlight/t...

I've had a couple of others since then but the frequency of the errors occurring seems to have abated somewhat.

UK Bob

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi all,

I'm accessing the forum using Google Chrome and apart from a bit of 'ad blocker' weirdness the forum is working okay for me...

Cheers all

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy @ukbobboy

If your devices that you use for posting on the NowTV Forum has a "Pop Up Blocker" option try disabling it.

I have switched the Pop Up Blocker feature off on my Tablet and for the last couple of hours it appears more stable whilst on the NowTV Forum (haven't had any authentication errors so far and the only thing that i have noticed is that i am still getting logged out of my account but less frequently than before).

Thought i would try disabling the Pop Up Blocker due to one of the forum members mentioned that they had difficulty claiming the Free Day Sports Pass until the Pop Up Blocker was switched off on their computer, together with what @SeeMoreDigital mentioned here about some ad blocking weirdness going on with his computer.

Might be just a coincidence or a short term blip and will keep testing in hope (maybe there is some sort of conflict with the latest NowTV software and Pop Up Blocking feature on some devices). 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy @ukbobboy

Not convinced now that disabling my Pop Up Blocker has resolved the continuing issues that i am experiencing when posting on the forum.

My Tablet was pretty stable for a few hours until now when attempting to post a reply message (hitting the green post button) where i got the dreaded Authentication Error and lost my post Smiley Mad

Will keep testing with Pop Up Blocker switched off.

Screenshot (25).png

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps @Andy @SeeMoreDigital

Hi Schnapps

I have always used Opera as my main browser and my pop-up blocker has always been on so I honestly doubt that it is affecting my forum usage.

I believe the problem occurred when an update to the forum software was rolled out, and that update introduced a bug (or two).  Nevertheless, the forum software works for some forum members, like SMD, who uses Google Chrome as his browser and (I'm guessing here) Win 10 as his OS. 

However, there are a huge number of users out there using a wide variety of OSes, browsers and equipment used to access this forum and, I feel, too wide to test for when looking for anomalies before rolling out updates and fixes. So it is virtually inevitable that problems will occur whenever changes/amendments are made to the forum.

Final note, I have found the "authentication error" to be, at best, an irritant, before it was very annoying, but it's currently not a deal breaker and as long as NowTV make small incremented improvement, instead of a full blown (solve all problems) update, then this bug will eventually be eliminated. 

UK Bob