Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

Anime fans/Death Note fans

Hey any anime fans out there, especially @Anonymous User, 

There has been an announcement that Netflix is making a live action movie but with and international twist. 

Source:

http://goboiano.com/news/4571-netflix%2527s-death-note-live-action-is-coming-in-2017

This has me a little worried as Death Note is a masterpiece, should it be 'remade' once again?

Also, can anyone tell me if the anime is still on Netflix? 🙂

death_note___kira_vs_l_by_elernie-d4nk7kd

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@caseyb1993 I'll get round to watching it soon then 🙂

Have you watched Mirai Nikki?

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5
@Anonymous User Not yet but it is on my lovefilm list 🙂
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
ukbobboy
Legend

@caseyb1993 @Andy @Anonymous User

Guys

I wish I understood a little bit more about shows you are talking about, as for the term "anime" I'm not fully sure what would qualify as such, perhaps someone could explain?

I have seen a part of a live action version of "Death Note" and thought it was very good and the few other animation/anime I have seen and enjoyed, i.e. Ghost in the Shell and Akira, were also very good but, admittedly, I have only got that far into the genre.

Still, anime is different and it does give us a break from the usual Hollywood fodder.

UK Bob

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy wrote:

@caseyb1993 @Andy @Anonymous User

Guys

I wish I understood a little bit more about shows you are talking about, as for the term "anime" I'm not fully sure what would qualify as such, perhaps someone could explain?

@ukbobboy Don't ask me, I've managed 3 episodes of Gunslinger Girl and that's it, but @Anonymous User and @caseyb1993 are animexperts.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@caseyb1993 wrote:

@Andy Thinking about it, Tokyo Ghoul might still be on Netflix and season 1 is only 13 episodes. And it is sort of horror 😉

@caseyb1993 Netflix have 12 eps for Tokyo Ghoul, are they missing something? Am I going to get all the way to the end only to find the ending is missing, cos you know what's going to happen then .... 😉

image.jpeg
caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy You know, it may be 12 🙂 usually short animes have 13ish episodes so it could be 12, I can't remember 😉

Just know there is a second season though so you will be on a cliffhanger and I am sure there is an upcoming season 3. 🙂

@ukbobboy That is actually quite a tricky question. Anime is animation that is created in Japan. It wasn't until the 90's that it became popular over seas and that was thanks to the classic series Pokémon aka Pocket Monsters 🙂

You can usually tell an anime is different the way the characters are designed with crazy hair styles/colours and big round eyes.

This page should help you learn a little bit:

http://anime.about.com/od/animebasicsfaqs/f/anime101c.htm

If I remember correctly, Netflix does have anime on it but if you would like to start watching, then make sure you set them to 'English dubbed' unless you would like to watch them with 'Japanese with English subtitles'.

NOWTV boxes also have the 'crunchyroll' app which is all anime but they are only in original Japanese/subtitles. Plus they are swamped with adverts trying to get you to pay for premium membership.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

Oops, it was Gunslinger Girl ... shows how much I enjoyed it, can't even get the name right 😞

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yeah I've been looking at this one @caseyb1993! I've also been a huge fan of the original series (L is amazing) but I've never been a fan of English dubbing or even Live Action remakes really. So I'm going to go into this a bit hesitant.. I'm also not sure with the casting..what do you think?

@Andy There are some series out there with like 1000 episode (Gintama, One Piece, Naruto) I've not watched any of them personally. The ones that I usually watch have around 12-26 episodes max. The most I've watched had around 50 🙂

If you want some good horror themed ones, I would reccomend "Mirai Nikki" and "Tokyo Ghoul" (haven't watched Tokyo Ghoul yet but lots of people seem to like it)

Have you watched those two @caseyb1993?

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Cheers Ryan, that sounds like it might suit, just checked and it's on Netflix and is only 12 episodes (unless there's another 50 somewhere they don't have!) so I,ve added it to my Watchlist and will let you know what I think when I get round to it!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Oh wow I didn't even know they were changing the names @caseyb1993, I can understand though because I've heard the American accent trying to pronounce Japanese names, pretty cringe..haha

And no problem @Andy! Let me know how it goes and if you want any other recommendations! I've got exactly 150 series built up on myanimelist haha 🙂

@ukbobboy Nice couple of movies there! If you want to get into a series, I would recommend "Psycho Pass" (again I haven't watched it but there's a lot of fans of Ghost in the Shell who enjoyed this)

Have any of you used MyAnimeList? I would strongly suggest using that to get a nice insight into movies or series 🙂 Great website and database!