Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

Anime discussion - all welcome!

@caseyb1993 @Anonymous User 

Thought it was about time we had our own anime thread, now I'm getting addicted to it I feel we need a dedicated area to go anime mad. Maybe we will find some more anime fans on here as well .... ANYBODY? Say hello!!!!!

357 REPLIES 357
ukbobboy
Legend

@caseyb1993 @Andy

Guys

I've read your comments and spoilers (you know I can't help myself when it comes to reading spoilers) but I'm gonna take a chance and watch Death Note. 

I think I understand your criticisms and the faults you have pointed out, which was probably caused by the Americanisation of the story, but sometime tonight I'm gonna give it a go.

Andy

You know, I will agree with you a 100% on one thing, and that is we don't agree on anything entertainment-wise, and that makes me sad.

Sad Face-1.gif

Casey

I know there are somethings you don't like about Death Note but you have pointed out that it has some good points, so it's a kinda thumbs up, thumbs down situation.

Thumb Up & Down.jpg

I'll let you guys know how I get on either later tonight or early tomorrow morning, depending on when I get around to watching it.

UK Bob

PS. I'm now off the get some breakfast (or maybe an early lunch).

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy 

THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILERS!

Aww no, we should celebrate our differences not be sad about them! Wouldn't the forum be a boring place if we all agreed with each other like a nodding dog convention? There's so many TV shows and movies out there these days we can all find something to watch and enjoy, and I hope Death Note is a great hour and a half of entertainment for you! And if not, there's always the anime! 🙂

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Spoiler
This isn't a spoiler, I just put it in a spoiler to tempt you to open .... naughty UKBob!
ukbobboy
Legend

@Andy

Yes Andy,

I did open that spoiler, I just couldn't resist.  Smiley Happy

Don't Worry, Andy

Spinning Smiley - Be Happy.gif

UK Bob

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy Sorry for all of the spoilers last night but we needed to get it off our chests. 😉 

I just can't get over how me and @Andy posted our thoughts at the exact same time and pretty much finished the movie at the exact same time. 😮 😮

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
ukbobboy
Legend

@caseyb1993

Hi Casey

No need to apologise, I like reading spoilers and, believe me, they don't spoil my enjoyment of the film, I use spoilers as an aid  to the filmnothing more.

Happiness Emoji.jpg

So be of good cheer young Casey coz' it's all OK.

UK Bob

ukbobboy
Legend

@Andy @caseyb1993

Guys

I've just finish watching Death Note and I thoroughly (yes, thoroughly) enjoyed it, it had suspense, the right amount of horror, betrayal, a chase scene and even a small touch of humour.

And I even enjoyed the acting, it was right on time .

I think you guys have been too hard on this small film.

UK Bob

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy wrote:

I think you guys have been too hard on this small film.

@ukbobboy

Well, you can't be an armchair film critic without throwing out a little criticism! 😄

Glad to hear you enjoyed it! I imagine it definitely helps coming to the film without all the baggage of the anime, you can't help comparing versions and the anime obviously gives the story added depth and more room to breathe, whereas a movie has to be done and dusted in a couple of hours and cater to newcomers as well as those familiar with the story, always a juggling act.

I did think we would have had a different outlook on the film had we not seen the anime first, and it would have come across as a clever concept with some interesting twists not common to other genre movies, so I'm glad you've been able to tap into those. As for acting quality, well that's always subjective so looks like it hit all the right notes for you!

Any standout moments or characters for you?

It would be interesting to see your reaction to the anime if you now watched it, approaching it from the opposite direction to Casey and me. However given the number of hours that would take to watch it's difficult to give that much time up when there are so many other great movies and shows to watch, and so little time to devote!

Maybe you feel you've had your fill of Death Note now and enjoyed the experience, in which case, amen to that!!

ukbobboy
Legend

@Andy @caseyb1993

Hi Andy

Yes, I think your analysis is spot on, especially on the following main points:

1) I have not seen any of the Death Note anime episodes or, if there are any, anime films.

2) I have not seen the complete live Japanese Death Note film, I remember only seeing bits of it on Channel 4 when it was shown late on a Saturday night.

3) I had no preconceived ideas about the film, I would also say that after reading your conversation with Casey I actually lowered my expectations. However, I was very surprised that I enjoyed the film so much.

As for the stand out moment, when Mia told Light that she loved him for the first time, I thought, "She doesn't love you, she loves the power you control", and Light, being a teenage boy, couldn't see that.  

And finally, I hope that Netflix does a Death Note 2 and continue the story of Light and Ryuk, a very devious and dangerous death god.

UK Bob

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy I think it's great that you really enjoyed the movie. 🙂

I'm not going to say "watch the anime as it is better" as I don't want to ruin your experience with the movie but since @Andy and I adore the show, it is hard for us to forgive what it has been made into. 

Light isn't supposed to be a typical High School student against the world trying to impress a girl he fancies. 

In a way, he is supposed to be like The Joker. A master manipulator. And in a way Misa (or Mia in this film) is his Harley Quinn. His pawn. 

It seems reversed in this film and this is what I disliked the most.

Despite what I say, I didn't hate the movie but heck, it could have been so much better. 🙂

If you decide to try the anime, it is on Netflix which I will be watching all over again. 

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@caseyb1993 wrote:

OMG Andy how weird is that how we posted at the same time? 😮

@caseyb1993 I know!! I was muttering to the TV screen all the way through, I just had to come on and leave a message!!!! 😄