cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
altaina
Advocate

Android TV

Just bought a Philips pus7303 Android TV. Just wondering if NowTV are considering developing an Android app for the Android TV platform. This affects Sony and Philips TVs. At the moment, users have to use a seperate box, which defeats the point of having an Android TV. Thanks.

5 Replies
RoyB Legend 5
Legend 5

Re: Android TV

@altaina 

Surely not - just look at that lovely Ambilight?

But you will find that the itv Hub and All4 catch-up apps are similarly missing from your TV.

And fortunately covered by the same NowTV Stick you may need for NowTV.

FWIW, I actually have the NowTV app on my Samsung TV, but even so, I use a Stick. Because it is quicker, and it does more.

If my posting answered your question, please click ‘Accept Answer’.
If you liked my posting, please click ‘Thanks’.
If you disagree with my posting, say so below, and I will see if I need to mend my ways 🙂
0 Thanks
schnapps Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @altaina 

If it was me i would personally use your smartphone and take advantage of the inbuilt Google Chromecast feature on the Phillips TV for Apps such has NowTV etc in the short term, where you never know what's coming around the corner.

Obviously if you don't own a smartphone, then maybe like @RoyB suggested look at a nowtv stick with the bundled voucher pass.

0 Thanks
RoyB Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps 

I’ve got two smartphones (work and play). And maybe I’m the only person on the planet who can’t get on with casting, and thinks the nett £4 for a NowTV Stick a very small price to pay for the enormous increase in convenience.

Or maybe it’s because I don’t live on my own, and any setup in our house that my (admittedly smart) wife can’t reliably operate in my absence is a no-no.

As it would be if she needed one of my smartphones to cast from, and it was with me, fifty miles away 🙂

If my posting answered your question, please click ‘Accept Answer’.
If you liked my posting, please click ‘Thanks’.
If you disagree with my posting, say so below, and I will see if I need to mend my ways 🙂
0 Thanks
schnapps Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @RoyB 

Just giving @altaina another option if they don't want to add another external device to their brand new shiny Phillips Android TV 😠.

Like you i am more old school and prefer a physical remote, though i do own a few Chromecast dongles mainly for streaming Spotify around my home on my various HiFi systems 😆.

Though you do find the younger generation don't mind the casting feature from their smartphones.

Johnny
Advocate

Unfortunately casting doesn't work as now TV won't support the inbuilt Chromecast only a separate device

0 Thanks