cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Android TV

Just bought a Philips pus7303 Android TV. Just wondering if NowTV are considering developing an Android app for the Android TV platform. This affects Sony and Philips TVs. At the moment, users have to use a seperate box, which defeats the point of having an Android TV. Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Surely not - just look at that lovely Ambilight?

But you will find that the itv Hub and All4 catch-up apps are similarly missing from your TV.

And fortunately covered by the same NowTV Stick you may need for NowTV.

FWIW, I actually have the NowTV app on my Samsung TV, but even so, I use a Stick. Because it is quicker, and it does more.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

If it was me i would personally use your smartphone and take advantage of the inbuilt Google Chromecast feature on the Phillips TV for Apps such has NowTV etc in the short term, where you never know what's coming around the corner.

Obviously if you don't own a smartphone, then maybe like @RoyB suggested look at a nowtv stick with the bundled voucher pass.

RoyB
Legend

@schnapps 

I’ve got two smartphones (work and play). And maybe I’m the only person on the planet who can’t get on with casting, and thinks the nett £4 for a NowTV Stick a very small price to pay for the enormous increase in convenience.

Or maybe it’s because I don’t live on my own, and any setup in our house that my (admittedly smart) wife can’t reliably operate in my absence is a no-no.

As it would be if she needed one of my smartphones to cast from, and it was with me, fifty miles away 🙂

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @RoyB 

Just giving @Anonymous User another option if they don't want to add another external device to their brand new shiny Phillips Android TV 😠.

Like you i am more old school and prefer a physical remote, though i do own a few Chromecast dongles mainly for streaming Spotify around my home on my various HiFi systems 😆.

Though you do find the younger generation don't mind the casting feature from their smartphones.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Unfortunately casting doesn't work as now TV won't support the inbuilt Chromecast only a separate device

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Actually you can't stream now tv from you smartphone to your tv as now tv dont allow it,  the second I connect my chromecast to my Phillip's tv now player stops playing and pops up a message saying now tv doesnt support chromecast streaming at this time

Anonymous User
Not applicable

That's strange I bought my dad a now TV box for his house using my account last year, I wanted to watch the DC crisis on Infinate earth's on my Chromecast at my house. So I activated a 3 month entertainment voucher and opened my now TV app,  I then cast it to my Chromecast 2nd Gen plugged into my TV it works fine. However it would not let me cast to the Android TV Box I also have, as a Chromecast device as I can with YouTube etc.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hi K

Now TV does not support android boxes and, most likely, never will. Check out the following URL to see the devices you can watch Now TV with:

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-devices-can-i-use-to-watch-now-tv

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV will only allow itself to stream at SD quality over Google Cast, it won’t even work at the miserable 720P it’s been gimped to.. still the only way to watch Now TV on a streaming device not made by Sky is to use the Apple TV, and as I understand Sky haven’t updated the app for four years. But if it works then probably no need to.

Even Apple has its Apple TV on more devices then Now TV does! I really fail to understand why Sky refuse to let Now TV app on Amazon Fire TV devices let alone Android TV devices despite the fact they have an Android app!.. No doubt it’s all about money.

However google cast works perfectly fine from my iPhone or iPad to my Android Shield TV for Now TV, but as I said apparently it’s only in SD.  It if you want to do it all with one box then the Apple TV is the only option currently, otherwise you have to cast from your phone or tablet and even then only to a limited number of devices.