cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jason5223
Mentor

Re: Adverts

Why an earth do I want to be ripped off an extra £5 for boost? My point is I’m already paying for a service that I was getting without adverts and restrictions on how many family in my house can use at the same time.

this is just greed on now TVs part and I will be talking my business and my money elsewhere  

starman73
Expert 3

If you go to “cancel” your memberships you’ll be given discounts. Currently got boost, cinema and entertainment for £9 in total for 6 months

@gavs82008 

is that £9/month?  Or is £9 for 6 months a star poster perk?

0 Thanks
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@starman73 

Its £9 per month for the lot.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, I am simply a NOW customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service and like you I am still a customer. For any account issues you’ll need to contact staff via customer support.
0 Thanks
starman73
Expert 3

@gavs82008 is £9/month a special star poster rate?

As an aside, I pay £1/month for entertainment but have yet to see an advert.  Watched all of Murder in the Cottage and 3 episodes of Vinyl in recent days.

0 Thanks
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@starman73 

No I wouldn't say so, just luck of the draw when "cancelling" memberships.

Went to cancel Entertainment got an offer, took it. Went to cancel movies, no offer, tried again the next day and got an offer, then I took it. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, I am simply a NOW customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service and like you I am still a customer. For any account issues you’ll need to contact staff via customer support.
0 Thanks
starman73
Expert 3

@gavs82008 ok, it’s just luck then 😊. Even £9/month is more than Prime & Disney + for less.

I am awaiting a Sky cinema email offer.  Won’t be paying £10/month given the lack of decent new movies.   Will get Boost for Sports next month, ideally need to get a discount on Boost.

Saint1976
Elite 2

After years of not getting offers emailed or at the cancellation stage (and moaning about it) I've finally started to receive them so currently on some good rates for the next 6 months.

Saw my first Now promo ad the other day but as I understand it, they're being rolled out to different devices in stages with Roku devices being the latest to receive them. 

There's also been chatter on the Sky community that ads are appearing in on demand content with Sky Q so the policy isn't limited to Now.

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/What-s-On/Ads-on-boxsets/td-p/3643773

On a slightly different topic that may affect you  @gavs82008 I've recently read that Android TV's will start receiving ads on the main landing page

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-tv-autoplaying-ads-homescreen/amp/

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Saint1976 

Yeah my Sony TV updated not long ago and its "advertising" is very similar to the style of Amazon Fire Sticks. Which I don't mind too much. 

As for the NOW/SKY promos at the start of shows, this is something I have noticed with my Paramount+ US subscription. Depsite paying the extra for no adverts they play a non skippable Paramount+ promotional advert, generally last 15-30 seconds. 

Usually when I have seen any NOW promotional adverts its been on my iPad and on my old LG TV. Which were annoying but generally not consistent, I have no doubt in time the NOW promos will be across all devices.

What would be nice is they copied Amazon and at least give us the option to "Skip" the promos. 

0 Thanks
desht
Mentor

I had the option of paying an extra £5 a month for Boost, just to get back the service I already had a month ago (i.e. without intrusive ads at the start and in the middle of streaming).  Or the option of just saying to hell with it and cancelling my already overpriced Entertainment and Movies passes.

I took the latter option. There are enough other streaming services out there who don't push ads on a service I'm already paying for - I'll get my content from them from now on.

0 Thanks
starman73
Expert 3

the option of just saying to hell with it and cancelling my already overpriced Entertainment and Movies passes.

I took the latter option. There are enough other streaming services out there who don't push ads on a service I'm already paying for - I'll get my content from them from now on.

I have Prime continuously as for £79/annum, I get movies, music and free delivery all ad free.  I have Disney for a year as I took it for £59/annum before price hike.  So they are my core streaming services.

The others are more discretionary.  I have Now Cinema and Entertainment when the email offers can’t be refused, ditto BritBox.  I tend to get Netflix for a month over summer vacation and a month over festive period.

I don’t see the logic of the Sky non-contract option (Now) being so restrictive. It’s not as if I am suddenly going to get a satellite dish.  I ditched that over 20 years ago for OnDigital!  Not been back to Sky since.

0 Thanks