cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

Actors that make you believe that their super heroes alter egos exist

@caseyb1993 @Andy @GraphiteGB @mark_suff @Andy-S @SeeMoreDigital @dpwykes @commanda6

Hi Guys and super hero fans

I was talking to my son about actors who play super hero and their civilian identities, especially how well they portrayed those civilian identities as separate and believable entities.

OK, to start off I want to list the following actors:

1) Tobey Maguire - His portrayal of Peter Parker in Spider-Man 1, 2, and 3 was nothing short of brilliant and, IMHO, is the best "Peter Parker" that has ever been shown on both TV and films.

2) Edward Norton - Hulk's alter ego, i.e. Bruce Banner, could not have a better actor, Ed Norton actually captured the very essence of what it's like to be relatively shy, unassuming man on the run from the military but all the while trying to keep his monster under control.

3) Michael Rosenbaum - Not a hero but a very dangerous villain, as I've said before Michael Rosenbaum's Lex Luthor is the very best representation of Superman's nemesis, bar none.

4) Robert Downey Jr. - This actor, despite his personal demons, is Tony Stark aka Iron Man.

5) Hugh Jackman - Although much taller than the Wolverine/Logan character he plays in the X-Men franchise, this actor has made the part his own and I honestly doubt any other actor can replace him.

6) Sir Patrick Stewart - Professor Xavier, founder of the X-Men. Not a lot to say here because Sir Patrick is simply a brilliant actor.

7) Sir Ian McKellen - Erik Lehnsherr/Magneto, see Sir Patrick Stewart.

I could go on but forum members, do you agree or disagree with me and which other actor would you say made their super hero/villain alter ego "real"?

UK Bob 

15 REPLIES 15
caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

What about Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool, 

Mr. @ukbobboy 😉

As far as I can remember, Tobey Maguire's Spiderman was my first superhero movie and even today, his role as Spidey is nothing short of brilliant. I didn't really like the third movie but I still enjoyed his character. 

I've started a few arguments with this but Christian Bale as Batman is my all time favourite. Like your Robert Downey Jr. comment, he IS Batman. 

Also, David Mazouz is doing a really good job as a young Bruce Wayne in Gotham. In my opinion, he has gone from weakling to a boy coming out of his shell.

Villain's are more my thing:

Heath Ledger's/Jack Nicholson's portrayals of The Joker are total masterpieces. They both added their own style to the character that was unique. 

Can Robin Lord Taylor's Penguin count? His portrayal blew me away the first time I watched Gotham!

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
ukbobboy
Legend

@caseyb1993

Hi Casey

For me, the best portrayal of Batman was Michael Keaton and his Bruce Wayne showed the mental tightrope his character has to walk between sanity and insanity, no other actor has done that before or since.  Whereas I like Christian Bale's Batman his BW was not as pronounced.

Can't argue about David Mazouz because I've not really been watching Gotham.  But Heath Ledger's Joker is top notch, the new guy in Suicide Squad can't hold a candle to HL's performance.

As for Jack Nicholson, yes his Joker was good, he showed fearlessness, deadly unexpected force but did not exhibit menace.

And yes, Robin Lord Taylor's Penguin can count, but as with David Mazouz, I've not seen enough Gotham to either agree or disagree.

To push on, Vincent D'Onofrio's portrayal of the villain Kingpin is nothing short of masterful, his soft spoken air of menace, his overwhelming need as a "Boss of Bosses" to take matters into his own deadly hands.

And let's not forget David Tennant's Purple Man/Killgrave, for the first time in my life I found myself hating (yes, hating) a fictional comic book/TV villain (wow).

You know, finally we as super hero fans have, for the last few years, are getting talented actors to play the characters we love (and hate) properly, rather than the nonsense that used to proliferate the genre in the past. And I'm also happy to say that this current trend of good actors, writers and production team, to backup the on-screen talent, looks to continue long into the future.

UK Bob

PS. Ryan Reynolds owns Deadpool.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy wrote:

And yes, Robin Lord Taylor's Penguin can count, but as with David Mazouz, I've not seen enough Gotham to either agree or disagree.

PS. Ryan Reynolds owns Deadpool.

@ukbobboy in that case you have committed the crime Smiley LOL

For that crime. I hand down the sentence of having to binge watch every Gotham episode of that is available by legal/legitimate means

what say you @caseyb1993 . Do you agree with the punishment. I have handed down to Ukbob?

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
ukbobboy
Legend

@commanda6 @caseyb1993

Well C6

I plead guilty to my crime and I accept my punishment and, above all, I promise to watch the entire Gotham series 3 as soon as it is available.

I shall now slink away to a dark corner, hanging my head in shame, and await the time when I can serve my sentence and return to this forum rehabilitated.

mugshot-smiley-emoticon.gif                                         Jail.jpg

UK Bob

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy wrote:

@commanda6 @caseyb1993

Well C6

I plead guilty to my crime and I accept my punishment and, above all, I promise to watch the entire Gotham series 3 as soon as it is available.

I shall now slink away to a dark corner, hanging my head in shame, and await the time when I can serve my sentence and return to this forum rehabilitated.

mugshot-smiley-emoticon.gif                                         Jail.jpg

UK Bob

Hi @ukbobboy

I meant to reply and accidentally hit the thanks button instead

I'm surprised you haven't watched all of the episodes that are currently available yet. To be honest, I would have thought Gotham would be right up your street

I think the actor who plays Bruce Wayne on Gotham is doing a good job of portraying Bruce Wayne as a complicated character

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
ukbobboy
Legend

@commanda6 @caseyb1993

Hi again C6

If you look back at my post of last year you'll see that I could not "get into" Gotham, I went for Agents Of SHIELD instead.  However, it was announced that they were going to introduce meta-humans, especially as Gotham occupies the same Earth as Flash, Arrow, etc. and I though at the time that this would help me get to grips with the show.

However, from the little I've seen so far I remain "ungripped", but I shall man up, see if I can find Gotham on catch-up or wait until the box-set is available and binge watch series 3.

Catch you later.

UK Bob

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@commanda6 wrote:

For that crime. I hand down the sentence of having to binge watch every Gotham episode of that is available by legal/legitimate means

what say you @caseyb1993 . Do you agree with the punishment. I have handed down to Ukbob?

@commanda6 A very fitting punishment there. 😉

I really should rewatch them myself. 🙂 🙂

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
ukbobboy
Legend

@commanda6 @caseyb1993

Well C6

My cell mate Casey and I will watch Gotham series 3 together while I'm serving out my punishment.

But until then I shall in my cell waiting for Gotham series 3 to return to TV.

Waiting for Gotham Series 3.jpg

UK Bob

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy wrote:

@commanda6 @caseyb1993

Well C6

My cell mate Casey and I will watch Gotham series 3 together while I'm serving out my punishment.

But until then I shall in my cell waiting for Gotham series 3 to return to TV.

Waiting for Gotham Series 3.jpg

UK Bob

Hi @ukbobboy

Season three isn't available in the UK yet, because the some strange reason Channel 5 keep pushing it back. Although we are now way behind the US in terms of showing episodes, so we wouldn't be affected by any schedule breaks that they might have. That's the plus side, I suppose

Netflix have seasons one and two

Don't forget when season three was start on Channel 5 you need to watch it on Channel 5 HD is watching in SD would be a criminal offence. When season two was on. We didn't have Channel 5 HD on Freeview or freesat but now we do (channel 105) Smiley Very Happy

@caseyb1993 current indications are season three is supposed to start on Channel 5 in the summer some time, but it could apparently get pushed back even further Smiley Mad