cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

AMC to launch on BT with Fear The Walking Dead

Anyone hoping that Fox would get Fear The Walking Dead because they have The Walking Dead are out of luck.

In September AMC will launch a channel in the UK exclusively on BT.  One of the shows at launch will be Fear The Walking Dead.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jun/16/breaking-bad-broadcaster-launch-uk-amc-networks

I had really hoped that BT wouldn't get into having exclusive entertainment content.  Between Now TV, Netflix and Amazon I can see all of the content I want affordably without a contract.

I don't know how BT TV works.  The article says it's available for £5 a month.  Can anyone get it?  Or do you have to take broadband from BT?  Is it only on a contract or can you get it monthly like Now TV?

I just hope that Amazon can hang on to Halt & Catch Fire.

If this has solved your issue please mark this as an accepted solution.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous User
Not applicable

BT TV requires BT phone line rental and BT broadband...

BT getting exclusive content will be just like sky atlantic thats SKY Exclusive still...

Having exclusive chaanels is nothing new... VM have done it before and then given up the loss making TV channels in their case...

FX Sorry i mean FOX UK has come a long way from being just a Bonus free channel to Sky world channel package ( being free it could have been canceled if it was a flop but its still going.) , but yep they have  Very easy been out bid lots of times for shows...  No body wanted "Agent carter" for example of an easy pick up for them... 

DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

BT getting exclusive content will be just like sky atlantic thats SKY Exclusive still...

Yes, but because of Now TV I can get Sky Atlantic without getting a Sky contract. 

Of course exclusive content is always a prime way of attracting customers.  But for a brief glorious time it was possible to get most of the biggest and best shows at an affordable price.

There's no way that I'm switching to BT broadband just to get some TV shows (and pay £5 extra a month for the privilege, if I understand correctly).

I'll just have to wait for the DVD and hope that BT don't get the HBO contract in 2020.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

AMC is limited to BT for now but I've read that they are taking about deals with Sky and Virgin. Assuming the former take it on then we may eventually see it on NowTV.
DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User  I heard that too.  I'd imagine an exclusive period with BT (6 months?  A year?) and then it'll probably be picked up by Sky at least.

The thing I'm dreading is BT launching their own entertainment channel (like Sky1) and buying up exclusive content.  At least AMC doesn't look like it'll be exclusive forever.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I expect that will be BT's strategy, building momentum after their sports channels.

I think FTWD is also a co production between AMC and FOX like TWD so it's an interesting strategy to spilt the related series across 2 channels.
DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

I imagine FOX (the channel) have first refusal rights to The Walking Dead in the UK, so AMC couldn't have it here.  AMC Global has been in other countries for a while, so a UK launch is a clear progression for them.

HBO also have international channels.  An HBO channel in the UK is probably something that Sky would fear, since they'd lose exclusivity (and the ability to schedule their own shows around HBO's content).  But not until 2020 at least when the current deal runs out.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

So dose fhat mean there bringin amc on now tv? As i have now tv with sky and it shows the walking dead but on the channel fox but its only 2 Shows From Season 3 . Itd awsome if they brung amc on now tv then ad have everything i need on it lol
DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User  No.  AMC will be exclusive to BT (for a period of time).

I'd expect AMC to turn up on Sky at some point.  But it's been a long time since any new channels were added to Now TV, so I wouldn't expect any more channels to be added in the near future.  Not without a price rise, ayway.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I heard its going to be available on amazon too and also google play...ill personally be using showbox to stream it which i have linked up to the t.v