cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

A Small Technical Question about MKV Files

Dear Technically Minded Forum Members

I have a white Now TV box and from time to time (well, daily) I stream my audio album (MP3) files, via my media server, to my TV's sound system, it's the only way I play my CDs/albums nowadays.

Anyway, I was wondering if  the box can handle MKV files as easily as it does MP3s?

Any answers or advice will be gratefully received.

UK Bob

PS. No skool like the Old skool Smiley WinkSmiley WinkSmiley WinkSmiley WinkSmiley Wink

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

When testing the capabilities of the 'black' box back in late August 2015, I was able to confirm playback of the following media formats via USB: -

MPEG-4 AVC video with 5.1Ch Dolby Digital audio placed within the .mp4 container

MPEG-4 AVC video with 2.0Ch AAC audio placed within the .mp4 container

MPEG-4 AVC video with 5.1Ch Dolby Digital audio placed within the .mkv container

MPEG-4 AVC video with 2.0Ch AAC audio placed within the .mkv container

MPEG-4 AVC video with 5.1Ch Dolby Digital audio and SRT (UTF-8) subtitles placed within the .mkv container

MPEG-4 AVC video with 2.0Ch AAC audio and SRT (UTF-8) subtitles placed within the .mkv container

Sufficed to say, it's very rare for MP3 (MPEG-1 Layer-3) audio streams to appear within .mp4 or .mkv contained files...

Cheers

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Don't use MKV and then the issues get less and compliance becomes a lot easier to manage due to MP4 being more supported than MKV ....

but if you insist on doing the MKV....

Use "handbrake" with MKV. Use the Presets of left hand side then change the file type to MKV... untill you research more...  https://handbrake.fr/

It forces Compliance to standards so is required to go SLOWER than Remuxing and stitching encoder apps you may have seen that brake encoding rules... 

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Well, I'm using Plex (PMS) as my media software and it can stream MP4s, MP3s and some FLV files directly to the white box which are then played flawlessly on my TV.

As you can see from my first post on this topic, my main love is my Old Skool tunes (which I am listening to at the moment), but I just really want to find out if MKVs will give me any trouble or will they play flawlessly.  However, I have my doubts because MKVs have DTS sound embedded in them.

I guess I'm gonna have to give it a try and see what happens.

Cheers

UK Bob