cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

10p pending charge? Billing help

I recently got a nowtv box but I've had sky sports pass since before xmas. I've just noticed that i have a pending charge of 10p in my online banking from nowtv. I have no idea what this is.

Can someone enlighten me?

Cheers
11 REPLIES 11
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. NOW TV do on occasion request a 10p authorisation to check it's a valid card on your account, this amount isn't actually taken from your account (it's reserved against your limit and then released again) however some banks do show this 10p temporarily on your statement as a pending amount. 

This usually happens when people first sign up, or if you've recently updated your card details eg changed card, card expired, or if NOW TV receive notification of updates direct from card issuers.

You should see this charge disappear from your transactions in the next few days.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ok thanks for the reply.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:
I recently got a nowtv box but I've had sky sports pass since before xmas. I've just noticed that i have a pending charge of 10p in my online banking from nowtv. I have no idea what this is.

Can someone enlighten me?

Cheers

@Anonymous User Welcome to the forum 🙂

Payment processing error message on NOW TV

You don’t have enough money in your account

You need to have at least 10p available in your account when you register your card with NOW TV. We request a 10p payment to check that your card is valid. Don't worry, this is returned to your account straight away. If you have less than 10p, your card will not be authorised.

If you have another account with more than 10p, you can enter those card details instead.

You gave us the wrong address

The billing address you enter has to match the address your card is registered to. If it’s different, your payment will not be authorised.

Please make sure that you’ve entered the correct address for your card and try again.

You entered the wrong security code

Check that you’ve entered the correct security code (the last 3 digits on the back of your card).

Your card has expired

Check whether the expiry date on your card has passed. If so, you’ll need to try again with a new card.

Thanks Niamh NOWTV Team 😉

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

I have x4 single 10p pending payments against my current account. What can I do about this and why have I not just got one?

Thanks

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Wait, and they will go away. Did you buy multiple passes?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Many companies do this , @RoyB is correct these will eventually go away. No money is taken from your account. It’s to check your card your paying with is active.

No it’s Not theft as I see one other person has put on here as I say  the money shows as Pending and is not actually taken.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

My 10p appeared after setting up my account and giving my card details, After a few day it just disappeared, I think like what has been said it is just to check your card is genuine

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The 10p "charge" is to validate your card. As has been pointed out, although the 10p appears to have been taken by NowTV and the available credit on your card decreases by 10p, it is only temporary and is not actually charged. After a few days when validation is complete the available credit will be increased by 10p, restoring it to its correct level.

However, if your card is maxed out and there is not at least 10p credit available it will not be validated.

Various companies and organisations use this method to validate a card or verify a bank account. PayPal do it but they warn you that it will happen so you are not confused when you see the debit on your account and as far as I remember their "charge" is only 1p.

Judging by the number of comments and enquiries I have seen about this by confused and annoyed customers it is obvious that  NowTV do not bother to let anybody know that they are going to do it, which is poor communication and rather shoddy customer service.  

Anonymous User
Not applicable
It is actually theft by deception if monies is taken from your account. I will be asking the appropriate authorities to look in to this.