cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

white box to stick

I had a white box in one room and a stick in the other room and both had been working quite happily. I now have to stop using my white box and replace it with a stick, which NOW kindly supplied in replacement for white box.  I set up the new stick in replacement and it worked lovely. But the one in the other room would then not work.  So i unplugged the new stick and the original stick in the other room worked.  In other words I cannot use both sticks i can only have one or the other. Yet I could use both stick and white box. They are never used together its only one or the other.   How can I overcome this problem please. 

15 REPLIES 15
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

You should perfectly well be able to run two Sticks at once (and congratulations on getting a Stick to replace your white box, which isn’t supposed to happen if you already have a Stick,by the way).

At a guess, your router has got confused, and given both the same IP address, or maybe it thinks there is only one device there.

At a time when you can safely blip the internet, and with both Sticks powered on, switch the router off at the mains, wait two minutes, and then switch it on again. This will make it have a little run round of your devices (what we techies call enumerating them), and it should realise there are two Sticks now, and give them different IP addresses, and you should be fine going forward after that.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thank you Roy, I will try the option you gave me to plug them both in. I did have one plugged into HDMI3 and the other one plugged into HDMI2, and placed them both in HDMI3 in case this resolved the problem, but unfortunately it did not.

I will plug them both in and reset my router as you suggest but unfortunately I have no idea how to change or add an ip address.

I was surprised that I am not supposed to have 2 sticks, as I have had the white box for ages and then when the sticks came out I bought one of these and replaced my white box and hence then moved the white box to another tv. So I either watched one or the other.

When NOW offered to send me a stick to replace my white box I applied and received it fully ignorant of the fact that I should not have 2. Perhaps this is why it does not work. What a shame. I will now have a stick that is unusuable if by resetting the router does not work. Although I would not wish to use the other one if its illegal.

Kind regards Rosie
RoyB
Legend

Hi @Anonymous User 

It’s not illegal 😛

If NowTV emailed you with the offer, then obviously you qualify, as they would have looked at your usage, and seen that you relied more on the white box, I guess.

So enjoy your new Stick guilt-free alongside the old one, if the router reset I suggested works OK - no-one should be satisfied with NowTV in just one room anyway 😀

And as regards IP addresses, you don’t need to know, or do, anything with these. It’s the router’s job to sort these out, and rebooting should be the kick up the backside the sleepy thing needs to wake up and do it properly 😴

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Oh thank you all so much. You have put my mind at rest. I will have a go at
resetting my router. Fingers crossed.
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User  @RoyB 

Rosie

Just to clarify a point with you, there is no law or rule preventing you from owning as many Now TV devices as you like or can afford.  The only restriction is that you can have four devices on one account or six devices if you have Now TV Boost.  And you can use two devices simultaneously or, again, three with Boost.

So you have nothing to fear from the boys in big boots:

Stompy.gif

Yeah, nothing.

UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy 

You can have six registered devices on a single account even if you don't want the Boost Pass 😉.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/managing-my-devices 

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps  @Anonymous User 

OK Schnapps

I stand corrected.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I did try the options given but unfortunately to mo avail. 

I then found the reason myself. Going to my account and clicking on devices I then scrolled down to find the answer was there. It said you cannot install new sticks until October. When the white box will be shut down on the 6th. So I reset all back Z was and will reattempt on 6th October when the white box ceases to function.i hope this will help others. I was certainly sooo pleased with the response and help I received. Rosie

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Rosie2140:

"It said you cannot install new sticks until October"... I successfully replaced my white box with new stick last night, 16 September!

Also, I believe it's possible to watch on 3 or 4 devices from a single stick.