cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Unlink the remote from my Samsung TV

I have just installed a new NOWTV stick and everything is working fine.  I went to switch off the stick via the power button at the top of the remote & it switched my tv off (I was expecting it to power off the stick).  Is there a way of decoupling this from the TV & the button just powering off the stick?  I was hoping to use the stick via a HDMI auto switch but this won't work if I can't power off the device. 

I know this has been a problem with the NowTV Boxes but I thought it was resolved with the stick!

Any help appreciated Smiley Happy

3 REPLIES 3
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Like you have noticed, the on / off button towards the top of the smart stick remote controller is for switching your TV into standby on / off.

The only way I am aware of switching the power on or off from the smart stick without physically pulling the supplied power adpator out of the electrical mains socket outlet is to use the USB port on suitable TV.

Obviously this will not work in your setup where you are using an external HDMI switcher which relies on switching the power on a device to change HDMI input sources. 

Edit ~ Perhaps look into using some sort of mains outlet plug with an IR remote control for switching the power on or off on the nowtv stick (not sure it would work mind, and seems like a lot of hassle to me). 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks @schnapps 

I suspected that was the going to be the answer but thought I'd check, as I can power down my FireStick.

I can switch the HDMI Switch manually, but was hoping for the auto switch whilst recovering from surgery.

Thanks again Smiley Happy

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

There is a way to power down the stick but because it's designed to be an always-on device the option is hidden away and meant as a diagnostic tool rather than a user solution. I wouldn't normally mention it as it's a hassle with little benefit for normal users, however given your current situation you may want to try it and see if it helps.

Press Home on the remote to make sure you are on the home screen. Then do the following sequence on your remote fairly quickly and smoothly (ignore what happens on the screen)

Home (x5) FF PLAY REW PLAY FF

If done correctly a Secret Screen will appear (if it doesn't, press Home to go back to the start and then try again). Choose System Operations Menu and then System Suspend and the stick will power down.

This is a complete power down which means it will no longer respond to the remote to wake it again.

So if you have your stick connected by USB to your TV you'd need to put the TV in standby and turn it on again to power the stick back up (if the stick is connected to the mains power adapter you'd need to unplug and power back up).

Like I say not an option designed for normal use so you'll have to decide for yourself if it's worth it.