cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

USB stick too big

The Now tv USB stick is too long and cant be plugged into my Sharp tv. Anyone else had this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RoyB
Legend

One of these, by VCE, will solve this for you, and it’s Amazon’s Choice (and mine!) for the job.

You have to buy the pair, but it’s still the cheapest option I can find, and maybe you will have a use for the other one if you have any other sticks that might be a tight squeeze.

It doesn’t mention NowTV there, but it does mention the Roku Stick, of which your Stick is a dedicated NowTV variant Smiley Tongue

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
RoyB
Legend

One of these, by VCE, will solve this for you, and it’s Amazon’s Choice (and mine!) for the job.

You have to buy the pair, but it’s still the cheapest option I can find, and maybe you will have a use for the other one if you have any other sticks that might be a tight squeeze.

It doesn’t mention NowTV there, but it does mention the Roku Stick, of which your Stick is a dedicated NowTV variant Smiley Tongue

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks RoyB!

Anonymous User
Not applicable
RoyB
Legend

Hi @Anonymous User 

Have you read the appalling reviews for these items?

And how many episodes of GoT might @Anonymous User miss (or have to stack up to binge-watch) while waiting for 10-20 May?

And they are one male in, two female out, whereas @Anonymous User needs female in, male out ; the numbers don’t matter, but the directionality does, and splitters tend to be directional, and the one you can get and only miss one episode of GoT definitely says it is unidirectional - and in the wrong direction.

But simple passive one-to-one couplers are bidirectional, since it’s just a case of straight-through wiring.

So kudos for trying to save @Anonymous User money, but I fear it would be a case of buy cheap, buy twice... Smiley Embarassed

(NB: I write from bitter experience; I’ve been burned by more than one HDMI adapter/splitter/combiner, and I’m still looking for any active device in this line that passes ARC).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB wrote:

Hi @Anonymous User 

Have you read the appalling reviews for these items?

And how many episodes of GoT might @Anonymous User miss (or have to stack up to binge-watch) while waiting for 10-20 May?

And they are one male in, two female out, whereas @Anonymous User needs female in, male out ; the numbers don’t matter, but the directionality does, and splitters tend to be directional, and the one you can get and only miss one episode of GoT definitely says it is unidirectional - and in the wrong direction.

But simple passive one-to-one couplers are bidirectional, since it’s just a case of straight-through wiring.

So kudos for trying to save @Anonymous User money, but I fear it would be a case of buy cheap, buy twice... Smiley Embarassed

(NB: I write from bitter experience; I’ve been burned by more than one HDMI adapter/splitter/combiner, and I’m still looking for any active device in this line that passes ARC).

Agree direction cab be issue, so apologies. Delivery times are an issue if item is coming from Far East.  Essentially all he needs is any extender. And there are plenty on Amazon for less than £2 delivered fro UK.

RoyB
Legend

I don’t know about plenty, and a lot fall at the quality and delivery hurdles, but the Kenable is tenable Smiley Tongue

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The item @RoyB links to in Amazon DOES work with the NowTV stick Smiley Happy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Having to buy an extra adapter to accommodate a too large for tv Now TV stick is not a solution.

i have just received my Now TV stick and it won’t fit my Samsung tv without another outlay for an adapter. No mention was made of this issue when I bought the stick, it’s just another nefarious way of pushing products by the back door without having the facts up front.

How about some honesty Now TV?

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

The Stick is not too big for the TV. The TV is too small for the Stick 🙂

And I simply cannot understand why whoever sold you the Samsung TV didn’t mention this issue when you bought it.

Sounds absurd? It is absurd.

But the serious point behind it is that NowTV, and/or the retailer you bought the Stick from, can’t possibly know the ins and outs of your home setup, unless you specifically ask about the issue.

And then you might be referred to the honesty in

https://help.nowtv.com/article/set-up-your-now-tv-smart-stick :-

If you can't access your TV's HDMI port to plug in your Smart Stick, the easiest solution is to buy an HDMI extender. (You'll need a v1.4 extender, widely available from all good electronics retailers.)

The HDMI ports on the four small Samsung TVs we have at home here are all on the side, so even wall mounted, as three of them are, no adaptor is needed

I can get an Amazon Firestick - a bigger device - in any of those HDMI ports, but it is so wide it fouls the ports either side, and an HDMI extender is essential with the Firestick. But not with the nice narrow NowTV Stick.

Roku, who make the NowTV Stick for Sky, will send you an extender for free if you can’t fit their comparable Roku Stick in. But then compare what that costs with what a NowTV Stick costs, even without the included Passes; enough difference to buy you an armload of HDMI extenders.

Anyway, if you don’t like it, I’m sure the retailer will take the Stick back when you explain why.

Or you could get a new TV it will fit in.

Cheaper and simpler just to accept reality as it is though, pony up a few quid for the adaptor, and start enjoying NowTV to the full..