cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Turning box off

I am uneasy about leaving my stick on 24/7, it gets warm. I usually leave my TV on standby. The power for the stick is set up  with the supplied lead plugged into a USB port on the back of the TV. Can I just pull the pull the cable out of the USB? I don’t want to use the power adaptor as the power socket is difficult to access. Thnx

5 REPLIES 5
Graham-S
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

Hey @Anonymous User 

If you're worried about the power usage then yes, just disconnect the USB lead 😀

RoyB
Legend

Hi @Anonymous User 

I guess I’m lucky that my Samsung TV powers down its USB sockets when it goes into standby.

But this is the equivalent of what you are wanting to do manually, and the Stick powers up very quickly when I put the TV back on, with no ill effects.

You might, though, want to try leaving you Stick powered from the USB socket, as it will enter a low power mode after a period of inactivity, and indeed, it may be that the USB sockets do actually power down, which you could check with a mobile phone charging cable, and see if the charging indicator on your phone goes out; if not straight away, then at most in 30 minutes.

Even if the USB socket does stay on, it would be worth leaving the Stick in it for, say, two hours, and only if it still feels hot even then, go to the bother of plugging and unplugging it all the time.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks for a positive reply in plain English, I will do as you suggest and
post the results. Somehow my posting got the word “box” in it when, of
course, it should have been Turning stick off. The remote has an on/off
button but it doesn’t seem to do anything
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

The on/ off button towards the top of the stick smart remote is designed to put your TV in and out of standby mode and is not intended to switch off the power to the smart stick.

When you originally setup the stick the stick should have gone through a process where it will try and pick up the IR remote codes on your television for on / off and volume adjust.

If you television doesn't respond to either the on/off or volume adjustments buttons on the stick remote, then go into the stick system menu under remote and try working your way through the IR learning process again.

My Panasonic TV also drops the power to the stick via the USB port on the television when the TV goes into standby 😆.

RoyB
Legend

Hi @Anonymous User 

I thought a simplequestion deserved a simpleanswer 🙂

I got ‘stick’ from the posting, so that was OK. And ‘box’ is easy to fix, as above 🙂

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.