cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Switching the Now TV stick on and off

When we have finished watching Now TV we usually want to go back to watching something on our Virgin box, but switching off the stick also switches off the telly. We therefore have to go through the rigmarole of switching the TV back on again to carry on watching it. 

Is it possible to switch the Now TV stick off from the Now remote without it switching your TV off? Can these two things somehow be de-coupled?

Many thanks (and sorry if this question has been asked before).

4 REPLIES 4
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

The on/ off standby button on the NowTV smart remote is designed purely for switching your television into standby mode and this button has no effect with switching off the Stick.

There is no button or setting on the stick to physically power off the stick (i assume that is the intention of NowTV when they designed the Stick and wrote the software for it).

On my setup, the Stick is connected to a 5vDC 1A USB port on my Panasonic television for the power side to operate the stick and when the Panasonic television goes into standby mode (when i finished watching any TV) by either me pressing the Stick standby TV button or the standby button on the Panasonic TV remote controller it drops the power onto the stick and then stops the Stick from operating.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks schnapps!

We use the same method of powering our stick as you (i.e. via the USB port on the back of our telly) so hopefully your description will apply to us.

The main reason I asked the question is that the stick runs warm (not hot since we started using the little extension cable that came with the Now TV pack) so I want it to be 'off' and cold overnight. From what you say this will be the case anyway because the TV will be switched off, so there will be no power from the USB port.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Not all television USB ports drop the power on them when in standby mode.

If you switch the television into standby see if the white light on the stick disappears and the stick temperature cools down.

Otherwise you may have to power down the television at the mains power outlet (not recommended for OLED TV's because of their anti burn in compensation cycle feature used in standby mode). 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

my now tv stick will not switch off can some one help