cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Surround sound fail

I know the obvious answer but can't afford it at the moment!

I've signed up for the HD 5.1 Surround Sound package but can't coerce any 5.1 out of NowTV. My AV amp is limited to optical and my old TV, although having an optical out, doesn't seem to forward 5.1 on.

I have an HDMI audio splitter box but when using this the NowTV devices put a warning text up but it's to brief to actually read!! Something about HDMI 1.4 or some such. Only 2.1 comes out of the audio splitter.

So everything I've tried gets downcast to 2.1

Is there anything else I can try before cancelling the new package?

Thanks,

16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I haven't bothered asking them, but internet speed would NOT be the correct answer here.  High quality wifi, 500Mb internet connection, zero packet loss, low latency.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Nothing to do with Internet speed, they've simply max'd out on the minimum spec. Netflix doesn't have any such issues with my Internet speed, the HDMI ports nor my AV kit. I can only assume it's all tied up with DRM.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Don't think it's the correct answer for anyone , we have fibre to the premises but they are still insistent it's our internet speed.

They had tech people try to replicate our problem and they were unable to do so, therefore it can not be their problem.

Thing is customers of sky broadband have been having problems with the Amazon site and Amazon said they were unable to replicate the problem, I take it that means it's sky's problem then.

Funny that I thought.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This issue has been fixed (as tipped off in another thread) and we now have robust 5.1 from our Nowtv stick. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

How fixed is fixed? Please could you point me in the direction of the other thread? Thanks.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Can I assume your still using a NOW stick?

What might sound like an obvious question, have you followed these steps from this link?

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-adjust-audio-settings

To select surround sound:

• From your Box or Stick homepage, scroll down to the bottom and select Settings, then Audio.
  • The Audio Mode should be set to Auto and HDMI set to Dolby D+.
FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

and with BT boxes.

To select surround sound:

• Step 1: In the NOW app, go to My Account and Settings and ensure that Surround sound is selected.
  • Step 2: On your YouView box, go to Settings, then Picture and Sound. If your sound system is connected by HDMI or S/PDIF, select the Surround option for the relevant setting.
FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help