cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Benno88
Occasional Poster

Stick won't turn on

Hey,

So I've got a stick now instead of a box and I'm having problems getting the thing to switch on.

When I turn my tv on and switch to the correct HDMI input, I just get a 'no input' box bouncing about the place. I've tried pressing different buttons on the now tv stick's remote but get nowhere - the only thing that works is to physically unplug the power lead for the stick and plug it back in - then it switches on and I can use it normally. It would normally be only a minor inconvenience, but my tv is wall mounted with all of the sockets and stuff behind it so it's a bit fiddly and total pain when my little one wants to get on and can't make it work.

I assumed that pressing the home button would turn the stick on/wake it up but it doesn't - should it??

What can I do to fix this? Any ideas?

Extra info - it's a Hisense TV. The old Now TV box worked as it should in the TV with no problems whatsoever. It's powered from a wall socket rather than usb output on the TV.

Thanks in advance, 

Ben

0 Thanks
10 Replies
Benno88
Occasional Poster

Re: Stick won't turn on

Bit more info based on replies/suggestions to a similar thread - I've tried factory resets twice. Not fixed my issue Smiley Sad

0 Thanks
schnapps Legend 2
Legend 2

Hi @Benno88

What about a different HDMI port on your TV ?

If you have a second TV in the house (just for testing purposes only) does the stick still behave like when using the Hisense TV.

If don't own a Hisense TV, but what happens if you go into the TV settings and play around with the HDMI Enhanced & CEC HDMI settings.

Also, see if the 1 Touch feature is enabled on the smart stick by going into the stick settings.

0 Thanks
Benno88
Occasional Poster

Thanks for this!

So I tried all of the other stuff (to no avail) before going for a different TV. Tried that and it's exactly the same.

It's like the remote won't speak to the stick until the stick is turned on manually... By which I mean unplugging and plugging the power back on. I sometimes have to repair remote and stick too. A problem with the remote perhaps??
0 Thanks
schnapps Legend 2
Legend 2

Hi @Benno88

Unless anybody else comes up with any suggestions, then if it was me i would be looking at a replacement (under warranty) from the retailer that you purchased the stick from.

0 Thanks
schnapps Legend 2
Legend 2

Hi @Benno88

Just out of curisoity, if you download the free Roku Remote Control App from your phone or tablet Apps Store, do you find then that the stick wakes up to the command from the Roku App without unplugging the power to the stick like you been doing whilst using the nowtv remote ?

This the only troubleshooting guide i could find about the nowtv smart stick remote.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/remote-control-troubleshooting

0 Thanks
Ceri_
Occasional Poster

I am having the exact same issue. When I switch on the tv the stick stays off. I have to take out the power wire and put it back in for it to power up and take it out of the tv and plug it back in for the tv to recognise it. I got 2 now tv sticks at the same time, in use on different TVs, and they both do this. I will try downloading an app to use as remote, but this doesn't help if one of my kids want to use the tv.

Did you ever get this resolved?

0 Thanks
schnapps Legend 2
Legend 2

Hi @Ceri_

With both nowtv sticks on two different televisions are you using the power from the USB ports off your TV to power the sticks or are you using the supplied mains power adpator that came with the stick ?

If you have been using the TV's USB port for power, what happens if you use the mains power adapter plugs instead.

Do you get the same symptoms ?

If the same thing is happening using either the usb port on the TV or the supplied mains adapter, then see if any of these steps in the trouble shooting guide help.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/troubleshooting-now-tv-box-stick

Ceri_
Occasional Poster

They are both powered off the mains. I will have a look at the article now. Thanks for your reply.

0 Thanks
Ceri_
Occasional Poster

Just in case anybody else gets this issue; I found that if you press on/off button the tv turns on, but now stick stays off, unlike the old now box which would turn in from the on/off button.

Press home on the remote and the now stick will turn on.

0 Thanks