cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Stick won't turn on

Hey,

So I've got a stick now instead of a box and I'm having problems getting the thing to switch on.

When I turn my tv on and switch to the correct HDMI input, I just get a 'no input' box bouncing about the place. I've tried pressing different buttons on the now tv stick's remote but get nowhere - the only thing that works is to physically unplug the power lead for the stick and plug it back in - then it switches on and I can use it normally. It would normally be only a minor inconvenience, but my tv is wall mounted with all of the sockets and stuff behind it so it's a bit fiddly and total pain when my little one wants to get on and can't make it work.

I assumed that pressing the home button would turn the stick on/wake it up but it doesn't - should it??

What can I do to fix this? Any ideas?

Extra info - it's a Hisense TV. The old Now TV box worked as it should in the TV with no problems whatsoever. It's powered from a wall socket rather than usb output on the TV.

Thanks in advance, 

Ben

24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just in case anybody else gets this issue; I found that if you press on/off button the tv turns on, but now stick stays off, unlike the old now box which would turn in from the on/off button.

Press home on the remote and the now stick will turn on.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Just for reference the on / off button at the top of the nowtv smart voice remote controller is for switching your television on or off from standby and is not designed for switching on or off the stick has you have found out.

If you have the 1 touch feature on the stick ticked in the stick menu settings (default), then one press of either the home button, back button, direction button or OK button on the nowtv remote controller will automatically switch your television to the correct HDMI input source connected to the stick ready to watch.

Should the 1 touch feature in the stick settings be disabled, then you would have to select the HDMI input source on your television remote controller to see the nowtv homepage screen.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Put Now TV stick into a HDMI socket on your tv. You will have a plug which came with the stick plug that into an electric socket but attach it to the stick as if you are charging a phone

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the same problem too & not found a solution yet.  I power the stick from TV USB not wall socket.

It looks like it is all about waking the stick up - remote works fine once the stick it awake.  But no response from the remote until I unplug the USB power cable (or unplug the stick from HDMI port).

I've gone into setting and switched off the auto power down, after 4 hours - see if this works...

But if anyone else finds a solution - please say!

Pete

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Not every TV USB socket has the welly to run a NowTV Stick, especially if you have the sort of TV, like mine, that powers down its USB when the TV is in standby, so it has to start the Stick when you put the TV on.

Try your Stick powered from the supplied mains adaptor, at least as an experiment, and see if that fixes things.

To be comparable, try it sometimes with the adaptor switched on at the wall only when you put the TV on, so it’s more like the situation with the TV, if it powers off its USB sockets when the TV is in standby,

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.