cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Stick won't turn on

Hey,

So I've got a stick now instead of a box and I'm having problems getting the thing to switch on.

When I turn my tv on and switch to the correct HDMI input, I just get a 'no input' box bouncing about the place. I've tried pressing different buttons on the now tv stick's remote but get nowhere - the only thing that works is to physically unplug the power lead for the stick and plug it back in - then it switches on and I can use it normally. It would normally be only a minor inconvenience, but my tv is wall mounted with all of the sockets and stuff behind it so it's a bit fiddly and total pain when my little one wants to get on and can't make it work.

I assumed that pressing the home button would turn the stick on/wake it up but it doesn't - should it??

What can I do to fix this? Any ideas?

Extra info - it's a Hisense TV. The old Now TV box worked as it should in the TV with no problems whatsoever. It's powered from a wall socket rather than usb output on the TV.

Thanks in advance, 

Ben

24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I recently acquired a stick and have this issue intermittently. 

The TV has no other sources attached and I've paired and programmed the remote. Most of the time I turn on the TV and the now stick runs as expected. About 25% of the time I get 'no source' message. 

Unplugging and replugging the power socket seems to be the only way to get the white light to come on the stick. 

Having read numerous forums this seems to be a feature of the stick. Bit crap really. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Sounds like the NowTV Stick and your TV HDMI won't play nicely together.

I am guessing you have tried a different HDMI port on your television. 

Maybe try experimenting with the HDMI CEC feature disabled on your television. 

Or has a temporary excercise if you own a second TV see if the stick has the same exact symptoms when temporary using a different TV. 

This might then point to a possible issue with the stick or a HDMI handshake conflict between your main television and the stick. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

my now tv stick wont turn on to i am so fed up for weeks i was getting unknown page error now this

Anonymous User
Not applicable

i switch power off then back on thats it working now

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just wanted to say thanks. I changed it to HDMI 1 and it's worked every time. 

Obviously these things are a little temperamental! 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Glad you got it sorted, also sometimes if using a 4K TV with the HDMI port switched to Enhanced Mode or the HDMI port is marked up at full bandwidth 4K HDR can screw up the picture or sound on the non 4K NowTV Boxes or Stick.

SL69
Advocate

I had same problem but now I can change input to my NowTV box just by pressing the Home button or I can turn TV on/off and have it straight to the stick. I turned on HDMI CEC then turned on HDMI ARC in the sub menu. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am having the exact same issue. When I switch on the tv the stick stays off. I have to take out the power wire and put it back in for it to power up and take it out of the tv and plug it back in for the tv to recognise it. I got 2 now tv sticks at the same time, in use on different TVs, and they both do this. I will try downloading an app to use as remote, but this doesn't help if one of my kids want to use the tv.

Did you ever get this resolved?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

With both nowtv sticks on two different televisions are you using the power from the USB ports off your TV to power the sticks or are you using the supplied mains power adpator that came with the stick ?

If you have been using the TV's USB port for power, what happens if you use the mains power adapter plugs instead.

Do you get the same symptoms ?

If the same thing is happening using either the usb port on the TV or the supplied mains adapter, then see if any of these steps in the trouble shooting guide help.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/troubleshooting-now-tv-box-stick

Anonymous User
Not applicable

They are both powered off the mains. I will have a look at the article now. Thanks for your reply.