cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Stick won't turn on

Hey,

So I've got a stick now instead of a box and I'm having problems getting the thing to switch on.

When I turn my tv on and switch to the correct HDMI input, I just get a 'no input' box bouncing about the place. I've tried pressing different buttons on the now tv stick's remote but get nowhere - the only thing that works is to physically unplug the power lead for the stick and plug it back in - then it switches on and I can use it normally. It would normally be only a minor inconvenience, but my tv is wall mounted with all of the sockets and stuff behind it so it's a bit fiddly and total pain when my little one wants to get on and can't make it work.

I assumed that pressing the home button would turn the stick on/wake it up but it doesn't - should it??

What can I do to fix this? Any ideas?

Extra info - it's a Hisense TV. The old Now TV box worked as it should in the TV with no problems whatsoever. It's powered from a wall socket rather than usb output on the TV.

Thanks in advance, 

Ben

24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Bit more info based on replies/suggestions to a similar thread - I've tried factory resets twice. Not fixed my issue 😞

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

What about a different HDMI port on your TV ?

If you have a second TV in the house (just for testing purposes only) does the stick still behave like when using the Hisense TV.

If don't own a Hisense TV, but what happens if you go into the TV settings and play around with the HDMI Enhanced & CEC HDMI settings.

Also, see if the 1 Touch feature is enabled on the smart stick by going into the stick settings.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks for this!

So I tried all of the other stuff (to no avail) before going for a different TV. Tried that and it's exactly the same.

It's like the remote won't speak to the stick until the stick is turned on manually... By which I mean unplugging and plugging the power back on. I sometimes have to repair remote and stick too. A problem with the remote perhaps??
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Unless anybody else comes up with any suggestions, then if it was me i would be looking at a replacement (under warranty) from the retailer that you purchased the stick from.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Just out of curisoity, if you download the free Roku Remote Control App from your phone or tablet Apps Store, do you find then that the stick wakes up to the command from the Roku App without unplugging the power to the stick like you been doing whilst using the nowtv remote ?

This the only troubleshooting guide i could find about the nowtv smart stick remote.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/remote-control-troubleshooting

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the same problem with stick and haven’t watched NowTv for months. Would cancel if they hadn’t given me two months at £1.50!

I ha e had to do the same thing, turn off at socket, wait, then try again. Sometimes it take 3 attempts. I have a Samsung. 

I note the blue light flashes when not working and is steady when it does. Changing HDMI ports makes no difference.

I wonder if the box would be better?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the same problem. The stick just won't turn on. It's mains powered, the luglig come on on the stick but the TV screen is blank. Any help appreciated.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

My stick won’t turn on but remote is working on the tv? I’m confused do I have a fault on the stick? 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

The way the remote works with the TV is different from the way it works with the Stick.

So you could have a faulty Stick, or you could have a faulty remote, or it could simply have come unpaired from the Stick.

Furst, try new batteries in the remote.

To eliminate any temporary issue with the Stick, press the reset button on the side of the Stick, while it has power to it, for just over 15 seconds. Then set it up again.

See if that fixes things. If so, great.

if not, then try pairing the remote with the Stick again, in the normal way.

If still no go, take the battery cover off the remote and press the button you see there for just over fifteen seconds, to reset the remote.

Then try pairing it again. If the Stick now works, you will probably have to re-pair the remote with the TV also.

If still no go, the last thing you can try is downloading the Roku Remote Control app to a smartphone or tablet, and see if you can control the Stick from that.

(There is no official NowTV Remote app, but Roku make the NowTV Sticks, so their app works fine).

If that lets you control the Stick, you have a faulty remote.

If it doesn’t, you have a faulty Stick.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.