cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Stick not working

When I press the on/off button on my remote it just turns my tele on or off and doesn’t start up the stick

11 REPLIES 11
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

The on/off button towards the top of the NowTV smart remote controller is designed to switch your television on or off into it's standby mode and the button is not intended to switch on or off the NowTV stick.

If you are utilizing the power from the USB port on your television with the stick then normally once the television goes into standby it should drop the power off to the stick.

Should you be using the supplied power adapter that came with the stick, then the stick should go into low power idle mode when not in use.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Forgot to ask, when your television is switched on and you have selected the correct HDMI input source on your television screen does it show the NowTV screen ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am having this same problem. 

I am using the HDMI that I have the stick plugged into. I’ve had this problem for a month and I’ve tried to reset the stick and nothing seems to be working. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am having exactly the same problem 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User @Anonymous User 

I’m not clear what the issue is, or issues are, here.

As @schnapps has explained, the On/Off button on the remote (and the volume up/down buttons) are to work your TV, as per the original setup where you pair the remote with your TV.

NowTV Sticks have no on/off button.

But to work, they do need power, fed into the little connector on the side of the Stick; either from the power supply that came with the Stick, or perhaps off a little USB cable that connects to a USB port on the TV.

And the Stick has to be plugged into an HDMI port on the TV, and you need to have switched the TV to be watching on that port.

If you have done all that, you should be able to see, and work with, the NowTV screen from the NowTV remote.

If you have done all that, then what problem(s) do you still have, so we can try to overcome them for you?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
My stick keeps saying no power and turning off and having red light flasing and is really hot to touch like over heating
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Thanks for coming back.

Red light flashing means low power - see here:-

https://help.nowtv.com/article/red-light-overheating-warning

Overheating is constant red - let’s sort the power first.

Are you using the power supply that came with the Stick? If not, can you start using it and see if things improve?

But if you are, I’m thinking ‘faulty Stick’. They do get hot, and some of them get too hot.

If you press the button HOME 5 times then the buttons FF PLAY REW PLAY FF in sequence one time each, you will bring up a secret menu which has the temperature of the device - what does it say?

You can improve this a bit by getting more ventilation round the Stick, especially if it is in a cabinet, or crammed in behind the TV, where it’s hot. If you get a male to female HDMI cable, or use a female to female coupler with an existing male to male HDMI cable, you can position the Stick away from heat.

Or you can perhaps take it back where you bought it, depending on how long ago that was, and get a replacement.

But let us know how you are powering the Stick at the moment, USB, NowTV-supplied power adaptor, or ‘other’, to narrow down the possibilities before we go further.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thank you for replying I have my stick constantly plugged in I didn’t know you could take it out when I unplug it it doesn’t work
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

You can take it out of being directly plugged into your TV, but it still has to be connected to the HDMI port, via the cable I described above.