cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Stick loses connection after 5 minutes ...

Hi, 

I'd be really grateful if someone could offer some advice please, the people who are supposed to be employed by NowTV are absolutely no help whatsoever.   Horrendous anti-help system they have here...

Anyway, I'm in military accommodation, using pretty good shared WiFi, and bought a Stick for Sky Sports as can't have a dish.  I connect via the "Hotel / student accommodation" method and all is good for about 5 minutes and then the Stick disconnects. This has been going on since I bought it last Friday, apart from a period over the weekend when it was OK.   Very very frustrating as you may imagine.

My main query is, when I've used my phone to connect the Stick to the WiFi , does it matter what I do with the phone's WiFi connection? It seems that when I subsequently reconnect the phone itself to the WiFi, this appears to coincide with the the Stick disconnecting, although at the weekend this wasn't the case.

Hope this makes sense, pse feel to ask me to clarify anything. 

Thanks for any advice... 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply Tony, think you might be on to something there.

I connected the Stick and went for something to eat just now, when I came back it was still connected and playing Sky Sports, this over a period of 20 minutes or so. 

I connected my phone to the same WiFi and once again the Stick disconnected after a few minutes. 

If I log into the WiFi with my spare phone with 1 sign-in account and use that to connect the Stick, and use my normal phone with a different sign in, I'm guessing that should fix it if what you suggest is the problem? 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi, 

I'd be really grateful if someone could offer some advice please, the people who are supposed to be employed by NowTV are absolutely no help whatsoever.   Horrendous anti-help system they have here...

Anyway, I'm in military accommodation, using pretty good shared WiFi, and bought a Stick for Sky Sports as can't have a dish.  I connect via the "Hotel / student accommodation" method and all is good for about 5 minutes and then the Stick disconnects. This has been going on since I bought it last Friday, apart from a period over the weekend when it was OK.   Very very frustrating as you may imagine.

My main query is, when I've used my phone to connect the Stick to the WiFi , does it matter what I do with the phone's WiFi connection? It seems that when I subsequently reconnect the phone itself to the WiFi, this appears to coincide with the the Stick disconnecting, although at the weekend this wasn't the case.

Hope this makes sense, pse feel to ask me to clarify anything. 

Thanks for any advice... 

It could be getting kicked off the network as it may be showing as inactive. Is there a limit to how many devices you can have on the shared wifi @Anonymous User?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I connected the Stick and went for something to eat just now, when I came back it was still connected and playing Sky Sports, this over a period of 20 minutes or so. 

I connected my phone to the same WiFi and once again the Stick disconnected after a few minutes. 

If I log into the WiFi with my spare phone with 1 sign-in account and use that to connect the Stick, and use my normal phone with a different sign in, I'm guessing that should fix it if what you suggest is the problem? 

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

Aye @Anonymous User It seems to be a limit put in place by the provider to avoid any one person to use all the bandwidth up. Keep checking it in the mean time but if you have any more problems, give me a shout on here and we'll sort it out.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've logged the Stick in with a different phone and sign in, and am using my normal phone to access the shared WiFi. 

Doesn't seem to be any problem any more, so a big thank you to Tony for his help. 

Hopefully this can be forwarded to the Live Chat team to increase their knowledge of potential issues. 

Cheers Tony 👍👍

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

I've logged the Stick in with a different phone and sign in, and am using my normal phone to access the shared WiFi. 

Doesn't seem to be any problem any more, so a big thank you to Tony for his help. 

Hopefully this can be forwarded to the Live Chat team to increase their knowledge of potential issues. 

Cheers Tony 👍👍

No probs @Anonymous User Enjoy the stick anyway while you can use it 🙂 This thread should help anybody else with the same problem so thanks for posting here in the forum.

Good luck.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the stick in my tv and now and Netflix keeps losing connection  I went in to connection and it is fineI have now boxes and Netflix on smart tv and there fine I need help