cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Stick & Freeview / YouView

Just bought a Now TV stick and it’s brilliant. But when I change input to watch my Sony Bravia Freeview channels through YouView. The picture is intermittent and dropping out.

The stick is still connected to the HDMI port and when I remove it the Freeview picture returns to normal. Plug it back in, picture problems return.

There’s some sort of interference occurring when the stick is connected. I’m having to plug and unplug the stick until I’m using Now TV which is annoying. 

10 REPLIES 10
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Are you using the supplied power adapter that came with the nowtv stick or are you using one of the usb ports on your Sony TV for power to the stick.

If you are using the TV's usb port maybe try another usb port if available or the supplied power adpator to see if it makes any difference.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @schnapps

I am using the power lead supplied with the stick but also the plug adapter supplied. 

I’ll try plugging into the USB port and see if it helps. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @schnapps

Nope still lost picture. Must be from the stick. 

Hey thanks for the suggestion !

Paul

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

It does sound like there is some sort of interference between the stick and your incoming TV signal to your inbuilt YouView tuner on your TV.

Not sure what else to suggest, apart from trying a different HDMI port and keeping the stick and power wiring away from your incoming coaxial aerial wiring on your TV and maybe see if a different wifi channel on your router has any effect.

If you have a HDMI extender flylead lying around somewhere in your house then maybe try that as well on the stick (don't go buying one mind because i am not sure it will make any difference).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks @schnapps. I’ll try your suggestions and report back any solutions. 

Thanks again

Paul

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Still problems.

Disconnect stick. 

Select TV from Bravia remote. Brings up YouView freeview service inbuilt to Bravia TV.

Happily watching World Cup.

Reconnect Now TV stick. YouView freeview service disappears. Error message "No signal. Please check your antenna connection" At this point I can use the Now TV stick as normal.

Switch off Now TV stick at mains. YouView freeview channels reappear.

Switch Now TV stick on at mains. YouView freeview channel disappear. Error message returns.

Repeat to frustration.

This is not a problem with the TV. The Now TV stick seems to be interfering with my broadband connection. Testing at 40mb/s + right now. So no problems with that. 

Wireless channel is 36 on the Network settings on the stick. Cannot view the channel being used in the Bravia. There must be some conflict whenever the stick is active. 

It's really annoying. The stick is great but this issue is taking the review points done a few notches.

Is it worth uploading a video of the issue to this forum ? Will a Now TV tech pick it up ?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

If you are still getting no joy, then maybe look at replacing the nowtv stick under warranty to see if the replacement makes any difference.

Sorry i can't offer any further advice Smiley Sad

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @schnapps

Hi Paul

I'm not a stick user, I don't like the form factor, but I have a suggestion that may seem daft, you said the Now TV stick uses wireless channel 36 so is it possible to change this channel to something else. Failing that, is it possible to change the Youview channel.

As you said, somehow the two channels are interfering with each other so moving one of them should, theoretically, solve your problem.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Bob

I've looked at changing the wifi channels but I can't access the stick's settings to change it there and on the TV it's not visible. However, I'm using a HDMI extension cable so that the stick wasn't plugged directly into the TV and by chance, I moved the stick from behind the TV to the side and the TV came to life !

Not sure if this is an official solution but it's acceptable for me ! I daren't mess about with it now in case I lose the picture again !

Thanks for getting in touch.

Paul