cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Smart Stick error code 003

Hi,

I'm trying to set up my smart stick for the first time and I have no problem getting the three green ticks for internet connection (and every other device in my house is connected just fine), but when it checks for software updates it says that it can't reach the software update server. My only options are check network and cancel, both of which just take me back to the select network page.

First guy on chat said to reset the router and the stick which had no effect. This obviously made me lose the connection and every live chat I've tried since has timed out for no good reason! I've also tried the reset button on the stick, and the "cheat code" of home and fwd/rw buttons which is hopeless because it just moves the cursor through the various available wifi!

Help!?

12 REPLIES 12
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

See if you have any additional security setup on your router that may be blocking the software update on the stick.

Also try using your smartphone has a wifi hotspot to link to the stick and see if it will allow a software update, then once the stick has been updated re connect back on your home network router wifi.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

I have no security that I'm aware of, I've also setup one smart stick and one old black nowTV box on this router before with no problems.

Tried using my phone as a hotspot (4G) and got exactly the same behaviour and error message. Also tried to connect to BT Fon but didn't even manage to reach the internet with that.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Out of curisoity do you still use the first stick that you setup and got working on your TV ?

If so, what happens if you swap the new stick onto the TV that you used for the first stick that worked and then factory reset the new stick and start the setup process again.

I am clutching at straws to be honest and maybe drop nowtv a message on this link below if you didn't have much joy with live chat.

https://help.nowtv.com/contact-us/managing-my-devices

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps I don't, I gave it to my parents who live 50 miles away! I could dig out the old black box.

Got back onto chat but everything he tells me to try (different HDMI port, different TV) just isn't helping!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I did a quick search for error code 003 on the forum where there was a few threads posted by other users, but i couldn't find any solutions on how to resolve it.

Maybe like you said dig out the nowtv black box from the cupboard to see if the box encounters the same error code.

Should the box connect fine and work, then it would point to something surrounding the stick.

Hopefully somebody who has encountered in the past error 003 will offer you some guidance on how to fix it.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps 

Guy on live chat has given up! Says the device is probably faulty but because I bought it from Curry's 3 months ago it can't be returned to them or to NowTV Smiley Frustrated

Top marks to Now though, one of the reasons I bought the stick was for the three month entertainment pass and they've given me a code for that since I can't access the pass on the stick. They've also given me one for the day sports pass but I can't even find any sport I would want to watch for free! Smiley Very Happy

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

If you still have the receipt and Curry's is local to where you live, then take the stick back for a replacement, repair or a full or partial refund where the guarantee should be 12 months if you ask me.

I wouldn't accept 3 months on a brand new electronic product if it was me (even though live chat kindly gave you some voucher codes for your trouble).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps 

Update - the voucher code I was given has wiped the pending 3 months voucher I had from the working stick from my account! So I'm back down to 3 months when I should have 6! Back on live chat but it's all got so complicated!

I can try and return to Currys but it explicitly says on the back of the receipt that it's 30 days for faulty items. Sort of my fault for not testing the stick earlier but that's not really the point.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Final (hopefully) update: Been given another 3 month code, so hopefully that will work in 3 months' time. And while it's been like pulling teeth, I do appreciate that NowTV have tried hard to be helpful.

After your post I checked the smart stick manual and it has a 12 month warranty so I have no idea why the first chat guy said that I couldn't get it replaced directly with NowTV because I'd bought it from Currys. Still, probably not worth the effort forcing them to replace it since the sticks are so often the cheapest way to buy the passes.

Just checked and my non-smart, dusty old black NowTV box is working like a charm!

Sorry to spam the forums like this but there's nobody here atm to share this emotional rollercoaster with!