cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andy Legend 5
Legend 5

Re: SMART Stick or SMART box

As for the Netflix app, you'll find all apps on Rokus/NOW TVbdevices have a 'clunkiness' or 'boxiness' to them, it's the way the Roku interface is set up. Netflix is one of the better apps but I've always thought TV versions, Amazon, Apple TV versions are slicker. As with everything it's a matter of taste and you do get used to the look of Roku apps. They're not going to win any style and design awards tho!

0 Thanks
smountifield
Contributor 1

@Andy No appreciate that dude... I did hear that NOW is releaseing 1080p this year, but given their history of upgrades I wont hold my breath...

@WT77 I already sub to ES player, so wont be subbing to Amazon prime just for the that... 

Decisions decisions... The Rokus does seem to be the better and cheaper alternative to ATV... Will give it some thought, thx folks...

Andy Legend 5
Legend 5

@WT77 wrote:
as well as with the [optional] "premium" channels, at £5.99 per month, available as part of the 'TVPlayer Plus' service through the "TVPlayer" app). 

Good point @WT77 I'd forgotten about TV Player subs including Eurosport, better option than Amazon channels unless you're already a Prime/Prime Video member.

0 Thanks
smountifield
Contributor 1

@Andy I actually think the netflix app on Samsung is pretty decent tbh and is almost a mirror image of what's on the new ATV 4k (older versions of ATV were pretty cak)... I assume the ATV app is native, and maybe smasung have now gone down that route... Used to have lots of issues with netflix on samsung, with dubbing constantly being out of sync...

My issue with NOW on ATV was that none of its functionality or navigation was there... No 'My TV' and browsing was a nightmare... Having read about it, it doesnt seem NOW are in any way going to update it anytime soon either... Hence me asking about the apps on these sticks... Obviousaly the NOW stick should have a decent app, but I am now more tentative about 3rd party devices...

With ref to the TV player app... I browsed that briefly on ATV and it might have been just my eyesight, but it seemed that all the channels were in standard def only???

Thx again

0 Thanks
Andy Legend 5
Legend 5

@smountifield wrote:

With ref to the TV player app... I browsed that briefly on ATV and it might have been just my eyesight, but it seemed that all the channels were in standard def only???

They only have about 4 or 5 channels in HD, everything else is SD.

0 Thanks
WT77
Contributor 3

@smountifieldwrote:

My issue with NOW on ATV was that none of its functionality or navigation was there... No 'My TV' and browsing was a nightmare... Having read about it, it doesnt seem NOW are in any way going to update it anytime soon either... Hence me asking about the apps on these sticks... Obviousaly the NOW stick should have a decent app, but I am now more tentative about 3rd party devices...

As Andy said, the 'NOW TV' app on Roku's own-brand devices and Roku-Powered™ (but NowTV-branded) ones are pretty much the same. All the apps (or, "channels", as Roku call them) are essentially 'Roku Channels' developed to run on the Roku OS (which also forms the basis for NOW TV devices) so aside from (slight) variations in the software versions for each brand, they are pretty much the same... and Roku devices (like Roku Express and/or Roku Streaming Stick+, etc.) all have the 'My TV' feature that is "missing" from Apple TV devices.

AFAIK the 'TVPlayer' app still uses lower than 'Full HD' quality, to keep the overall cost of the service down (for both themselves, as well as to the end-user). This is similar (in my opinion) to what NOW TV have being doing thus far... which is to rely on Adaptive BitRate (ABR) streaming technology [sometimes called Multiple BitRate (MBR) streaming] that varies the quality of the individual streams based on what it determines to be the maximum that your device can handle (at any given time) without the risk of losing the signal or having to constantly be buffering. This generally means that, it will often start with a lower quality and then raise-up to a better quality within a short time of starting whatever you are watching... but can also mean that, if your network speed drops while you are streaming, it can also lower the quality to maintain the stream. More info at:-

What Stream Video Quality Does TVPlayer Use?

0 Thanks
4268 Champion 4
Champion 4

Regarding the TVPLAYER App on Roku I find it is crashing a lot

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor

Chat are open 8am to Midnight:

Contact Now...

0 Thanks
smountifield
Contributor 1

OK, so for general interface, lag, speed of everythig loading... NOW Stick or Roku?

#onthespot 🙂 

0 Thanks
Andy Legend 5
Legend 5

@smountifield wrote:

OK, so for general interface, lag, speed of everythig loading... NOW Stick or Roku?

#onthespot 🙂 

In the style of those 'yes/no' Smash Hits quizzes 

Do you like an uncluttered homepage > Yes - go for Roku, it just displays all your installed apps

Do you want the extra apps > Yes, go for Roku

Do you want to spend a lot of money > No - Go for the Stick

Do you want it mainly for NOW TV cos you'll use your other devices for Netflix etc > Yes - go for the stick, homepage covered in NOW TV showcasing and quick access to continue watching and watchlist

Conclusion = personal choice! 😉

PS lag, speed of loading - nothing in it

schnapps Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @smountifield

If you are susceptible to judder on UK video content, then just be aware that the Roku Express video playback is fixed at 60hz, where the nowtv smart stick plays video content at 50hz which a lot of people find video playback smoother on UK broadcasts.

0 Thanks