cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

SMART Stick or SMART box

Hi folks...

New to the forum... I have recently left SKY, having been with them for donkey's years... and have now subbed to NOW TV on a 6 month pre pay offer... I still want Freeview and the players (BBC, ITV, 4od, 5od) and I watch Netflix a lot...

I was just about to buy a SMART box, when I dived in feet first for a new Apple TV 4k... However, the NOW tv app on apple is just awful, so that has gone back...

So... SMART box on offer or the new SMART stick... ??? Do they do the same thing, or have they lost some of the features in the new Stick?

Also, is the interface teh same as the standard Samsung tv App? No improvemnts ??

Thx in advance for your help folks...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User I think live chat sometimes get mixed up between Freeview over-the-air broadcasts and the catch-up apps.

No Eurosport on any of the NOW TV devices I'm afraid. 

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

The 'My Feed', on the Roku interface ... Does this track your viewing across all channels??? NOW, Netflix erc. etc.???

@Anonymous User Not across every channel available on the Roku, but across the main ones that Roku have partnered with like NOW TV, Amazon, Netflix, Google Play (same applies to the search option on the homescreen). More info on how it works here

https://support.roku.com/en-gb/article/208756898-how-to-follow-your-favorite-shows-using-my-feed

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Andy I think that seals the deal... Thx bud

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Just read your message again, the Feed option doesn't track your viewing as such, it's a way of you specifying movies, actors etc you are interested in and then getting notifications when new things are available to buy/watch, but that link tells you all about it so I'm sure you've got the gist!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Andy No appreciate that dude... I did hear that NOW is releaseing 1080p this year, but given their history of upgrades I wont hold my breath...

@Anonymous User I already sub to ES player, so wont be subbing to Amazon prime just for the that... 

Decisions decisions... The Rokus does seem to be the better and cheaper alternative to ATV... Will give it some thought, thx folks...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous Userwrote:

Thx again dude... Still think I'll go for it... At £19 it's a damn sight cheaper than ATV at £200... 🙂 

I'll just have to persist with NEtflix and Eurosport on the TV apps...

Thx

If you follow the advice of 'ukbobboy' and get a Roku (e.g. Roku Express for £29) you'll be able to access both Netflix (which has it's own app) and Eurosport (which is available as a 'Featured Channel' within the "Amazon Video" app for £4.99 per month - but requires you to also be a Prime Member to subscribe - as well as with the [optional] "premium" channels, at £5.99 per month, available as part of the 'TVPlayer Plus' service through the "TVPlayer" app). So no need to "persist" with TV apps!Smiley Wink

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:
as well as with the [optional] "premium" channels, at £5.99 per month, available as part of the 'TVPlayer Plus' service through the "TVPlayer" app). 

Good point @Anonymous User I'd forgotten about TV Player subs including Eurosport, better option than Amazon channels unless you're already a Prime/Prime Video member.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have a Now TV account with an Entertainment pass and was lucky enough to receive free of charge a refurbished Roku STB, which works brilliantly on my main TV at home.  I work away during the week and have signed up for a new HDMI Smart Stick so that I can watch Now TV from my flat, and signed up for the £19.99 package that offers two months Entertainment Pass.  The small print on the ad said existing customers simply add the voucher to their account, but there is no voucher.  My account payment shows that my next £7.99 payment will go out next month as planned, but surely this should be in three months' time, as I have already paid in advance with the Smart Stick?  

Can anyone advise on this, please?  It seems that Now TV are quick to take payment, but make it complicated for customers to get the package we have paid for.  Am I missing something obvious, perhaps?  

Much obliged, thank you.

Goodplan53

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

There should be a scratch card voucher that comes with the smart stick in the box packing, double check all the paperwork that comes with the stick.

Also, does it say on the outer packing on the box including 2 month entertainment voucher ?

A small number of customers have reported that there was no voucher code scratch card in the box, if you are one of these unlucky customers you will have to contact the Retailer that you bought the smart stick from and ask for a replacement.

If you do manage to find the 2 month entertainment voucher in the box, then just apply the code to your existing account.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Schnapps

The item hasn't arrived through the post yet, so i will look out for it next week.  I went on to live chat earlier and disabled the auto-renewal function for the entertainment pass, so that I can apply the voucher for the two months free pass when it arrives.  I didn't realise that the code is literally enclosed in the parcel. 

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply - much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Goodplan53

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous Userwrote:

Thanks Schnapps

The item hasn't arrived through the post yet, so i will look out for it next week.  I went on to live chat earlier and disabled the auto-renewal function for the entertainment pass, so that I can apply the voucher for the two months free pass when it arrives.  I didn't realise that the code is literally enclosed in the parcel. 

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply - much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Goodplan53

Hi @Anonymous User

That would explain why.

When the package arrives there should be a silver sratch card inside the box together with the stick and accessories, where when you are ready to activate the 2 month voucher, go to the nowtv website with your internet browser sign into the website with your same existing account details on your existing box and select My Account > My Passes where there should be a green apply voucher button next to the entertainment pass to add your voucher code.

Hopefully everything will go through smoothly.