cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Roku or Now tv

Sorry this is all very new having been a sky customer so I'm a bit lost with all these streaming sticks.

I'd like some sky channels and netflix so it seems now tv has the edge (for me) over the amazon firestick but can somebody explain the benefits of roku or is it best to get the now tv stick? I'm struggling to find a comparison for them two.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

With regards to performance they are pretty much similar where the appeal with the Roku is more selection of Apps.

Most of the Apps or Channels are obscure and i doubt you will ever use them.

One of the draws to people who own Roku are it offers NowTV, Netflix and Amazon Prime Video.

Where the NowTV stick or box only offers NowTV & Netflix.

Suggest you have a read of the three links that i posted, which should give you a good idea about the differences.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

With a full blown Roku player you get more Apps than the NowTV stick or NowTV boxes where both run similar operating systems.

More info here.

https://www.roku.com/en-gb/

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-apps-are-available-on-now-tv-box-stick

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-a-now-tv-smart-stick

If you are thinking about the Roku Express, then just be aware this is a miniature streaming box and needs line of sight with the remote, where you can hide the NowTV stick behind the TV where the smart remote also has voice search button if that appeals to you.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks, so the Roku is everything the now tv stick has plus a bit more?
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

With regards to performance they are pretty much similar where the appeal with the Roku is more selection of Apps.

Most of the Apps or Channels are obscure and i doubt you will ever use them.

One of the draws to people who own Roku are it offers NowTV, Netflix and Amazon Prime Video.

Where the NowTV stick or box only offers NowTV & Netflix.

Suggest you have a read of the three links that i posted, which should give you a good idea about the differences.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

If you are only mainly intrested in the NowTV App and the Netflix App together with Apps mentioned on this help article, then save yourself a couple of quid and get a NowTV stick with an included bundle nowtv pass.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-apps-are-available-on-now-tv-box-stick

You should be able to pickup a NowTV stick from places like Argos, Currys, major supermarkets for around £15 to £20.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I think that's the way I'll go as I'm concerned about the remote issue as my HDMI are round the back. I hope my 6 year old Samsung works with the now tv stick as now tv or netflix don't appear on the smart hub hence the need for a stick.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

If your Samsung TV has a HDMI port then you should be OK using the NowTV stick.

Any problems setting up the stick, post back here and hopefully somebody on the forum will help you out.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:
Thanks, so the Roku is everything the now tv stick has plus a bit more?

Not sure roku has the 30 minute live buffer you get with the Now TV stick which is useful If you watch sports.

I have both cos Roku has Amazon movies and Deezer which are not on the Now TV stick.

Now TV sticks are a lot cheaper especially with passes bundled on and a sky store voucher in the box.  Last one I got was less than free with 2 months movies + day sports pass + sky store £3.49 voucher.  Only cost £20.  

FWIW Start with the Now TV stick and if it’s not good enough get the Roku. That’s what I did.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @schnapps  @Anonymous User 

Hi Simon

I'd just like to add one more thing to the advice offered by Schnapps and ClockEnd, and that is the Roku has the facility to play your digital music, Spotify or any digital radio through to your music system, if you have one, via your TV. 

However, this may be something you do not want to do now but bear in mind as a possibility for the future. 

Hope this helps.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Really Suggest the full Roku boxes unless you desperately need the live pause. If you look the Roku express actually isn’t a streaming STICK, it is actually a streaming box, just a tiny one. So whilst the hdmi resides behind the tv, there is nothing stopping you from putting the box (which even has a peelable sticky feet) on the side of a tv cabinet, on the tv stand etc.

The Roku’s are second only to the new model Apple TV’s in terms of streaming services availability. I really enjoy having the option of grabbing Amazon Prime for a month or two a year, some of their tv shows are excellent. Another handy option is when I’m feeling impatient it’s good to be able to rent the odd big new release off of Amazon or Google Play Movies in 1080p and surround sound. 

I’ve had a few generations of Now Tv boxes, and Roku boxes. I’ll take the Roku anyday over the Now Tv box, even with the Now tv boxes finally having Netflix too.