Mentor

Remote

My remote won’t turn volume up and down 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @daisy123 

Also forgot to mention make sure the CEC HDMI setting on your television is switched on before attempting the setup process in your Stick remote settings.

Found this bit of extra information on a separate Roku guide which might be of some help when manually going through the codes step by step.

Why is my Roku Enhanced Remote able to control the volume or power for my TV, but not both?

With manufacturers producing various models, most TV brands have a number of remote codes. During the remote setup, your Roku player will attempt to narrow this list of possible codes on your specific TV brand and program the enhanced remote to the correct code. It is possible that the code programmed into your Roku Enhanced Remote when you heard the music stop only contains commands to control either volume or power, but not both. Using a different code for the TV brand may work to control both volume and power.

To have your Roku player try additional remote codes, restart the setup process for your Roku Enhanced Remote and alter the steps as follows:

1. When you first hear the music stop and are asked “Did the music stop playing?”, do not answer the question. Instead, turn the volume back up with your TV remote until the music is audible again.

2. Now, answer the question with No, and your Roku player will move on to try the next remote code.

3. The next time you hear the music stop, answer the question with Yes, and your Roku Enhanced Remote will be programmed with the new code.

4. In rare cases, you may need to repeat this process, answering No to multiple codes before you find a code that controls both volume and power. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @daisy123 

Sounds like the automatic setup on your Stick is not picking up the IR code emitted from your television for the volume adjust commands.

Unless both the TV standby & Volume adjust buttons originally worked when you first setup the Stick ?

Out of curiosity whats the make and model of your television ?

Also make sure the NowTV Stick is plugged directly into your television and you are not using an AV Receiver, Sound bar plugged directly into the Stick or an external HDMI switch box.

When i setup my Stick on my Panasonic TV it would allow for switching the TV onto standby mode and back on again via the NowTV remote, but like you i couldn't adjust the TV volume by using the volume adjust buttons on the NowTV remote.

What i had to do was go into the Stick settings under Remotes, then select Remote, then select "Set up remote for TV control".

Then when it says on screen can you hear the music press yes, then when it says Yes the music has stopped playing, even if the music has stopped playing, press No.

This will then go through all the codes manually from Code number 1 to Code number x where you need to be patient and spend time trying each code at a time until hopefully it can find the correct code for your TV.

Start with Code 1 take a note of it and if it doesn't work by clicking on Yes the music has stopped, move onto the next code number 2 etc.

There is no guarantee it will work because not all TV brand codes fully work.

With my Panasonic TV i got approx code 15 (or around about there) until the TV standby and Volume adjust buttons on the NowTV remote worked with my Panasonic TV.

There is some instructions on this Roku Help Guide, which is similar to the NowTV Stick.

https://support.roku.com/en-gb/article/115013019828-how-do-i-set-up-my-roku-enhanced-remote-to-contr... 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @daisy123 

Also forgot to mention make sure the CEC HDMI setting on your television is switched on before attempting the setup process in your Stick remote settings.

Found this bit of extra information on a separate Roku guide which might be of some help when manually going through the codes step by step.

Why is my Roku Enhanced Remote able to control the volume or power for my TV, but not both?

With manufacturers producing various models, most TV brands have a number of remote codes. During the remote setup, your Roku player will attempt to narrow this list of possible codes on your specific TV brand and program the enhanced remote to the correct code. It is possible that the code programmed into your Roku Enhanced Remote when you heard the music stop only contains commands to control either volume or power, but not both. Using a different code for the TV brand may work to control both volume and power.

To have your Roku player try additional remote codes, restart the setup process for your Roku Enhanced Remote and alter the steps as follows:

1. When you first hear the music stop and are asked “Did the music stop playing?”, do not answer the question. Instead, turn the volume back up with your TV remote until the music is audible again.

2. Now, answer the question with No, and your Roku player will move on to try the next remote code.

3. The next time you hear the music stop, answer the question with Yes, and your Roku Enhanced Remote will be programmed with the new code.

4. In rare cases, you may need to repeat this process, answering No to multiple codes before you find a code that controls both volume and power. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Great answer.. sorted  my problem..thank you.

daisy123
Mentor
No still not working
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @daisy123 

Might be a good idea to undo the solved solution on my post if nothing worked.

I am guessing when you originally first setup the new stick the volume buttons on the NowTV remote didn't work ?

If the auto setup or manually trying to enter the TV infra red remote codes didn't work by following my previous instructions then there is always the small chance your TV isn't compatible with the TV codes available with the NowTV Stick.

If you can confirm your TV make and model number, then maybe if a forum member has the same exact TV model they can confirm if the NowTV Stick remote controlled the volume with their TV and if so how they managed it.

Should they say it was during the initial setup of their new Stick, then maybe factory reset the Stick and try again.