cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lenturn
Scholar 2

Really bad wi-fi on stick

For some reason I'm having really bad wi-fi issues on my brand new stick, both 2G and 5G.

It's either not connecting, taking ages to connect and then losing connection, or just plain bad picture and buffering.

I can't understand as my Smart Box works perfectly well over wi-fi, so it doesn't seem to be my internet connection.

All getting rather frustrating now.

24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'd expected wifi signal issues (and also heat issues as mentioned elsewhere) with this device. So I've held back from buying.

It tends to make sense that a dongle stuck in the back of and/or behind a TV is likely to struggle with wifi signals.

Thanks to all for the updates - I'll stick to my Smart Box.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I bought a NOW stick a few weeks ago to enable us to watch via our SAMSUNG TV. We have fast broadband and it works fine with our youview box even when the computers are being used to play bandwidth hungry games. The NOW stick, however, is a right pain even when nothing else is connected to the internet.

The first day, everything seemed fine. Connection was good, picture was clear. No problems. The second day, it took us over half an hour to get anything working at all, and then the picture was blurred and almost unwatchable. Since then, it has been working well on one further day, and on all other day, it takes time to start up and the picture is very poor. It's like watching a pirate video that has been copied half a dozen times. 

I stupidly paid for three months of this damn thing, but unless drastic improvements are made or someone kindly tells me of a way to fix it, I shan't be paying for any more. Watch TV anywhere? What a joke! I should have known better than to use a product connected with Sky.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have days where the picture quality is excellent and since buying the stick about a month ago ive had several days where the picture is unwatchable.. usually with sport

I find if i leave the stick in the tv constantly it heats up, surely this can be a reason?

No picture issues with the white box so the issue is not my wifi network..

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've had the same problems. Stick worked fine for a month then couldn't find a network and the signal strength is zero.

Tried moving it to other rooms, different TV's, changed the cable, reset device, changed settings, reset to factory defaults, reset router......still doesn't work.

Everything else in the house works fine and the internet is running at correct speed even my old White Now TV box is working.

Basically the stick is a dud and a bad purchase choice. Stick to the boxes.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I Have a similar problem,

Speaking to my ISP (BT) and "Now TV" staff is a waste of time, they don't have the technical ability to help you. They have scripts infront of them to cover the bascis..that's it .

Having searched online for ages, it appears that you, like me, need to split your wireless signal into two - 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, with different SSID's.

Then make sure you point the Now TV stick to the 5Ghz SSID.

Search online for your particular Hub type and instructions on how to do it.

Also changing the wireless channel from Automatic to a specific Channel will also help.

My "stick" did the same, after the above its all fine now.

Hope this helps.