cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lenturn
Scholar 2

Really bad wi-fi on stick

For some reason I'm having really bad wi-fi issues on my brand new stick, both 2G and 5G.

It's either not connecting, taking ages to connect and then losing connection, or just plain bad picture and buffering.

I can't understand as my Smart Box works perfectly well over wi-fi, so it doesn't seem to be my internet connection.

All getting rather frustrating now.

24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have 3 devices that I watch now TV with,

The black box , A Roku stick , and just got the Now stick .

when connecting to WiFi there are lines that light up on the TV , better the WiFi pick up the more lines light up.

when connecting my black box All lines light up,

my Roku stick All lines light up 

my Now TV stick only 3 light up , 

I don’t get any problems with the now stick it’s brilliant, but for only 3 to light up and the others have all lines lit it shows that there must be a problem with the WiFi pick up with the new Now stick.

All 3 devices as well were set up with the same TV so not in different rooms .

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have this issue on two Now sticks. Personally I think it is poor quality in the stick itself. The same tv has a Fire stick and this works perfectly, and is nothing to do with the tv port or interference. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have found the same, very poor WiFi on the new stick. Using the better little black box with ethernet connection.

The now tv stick seems a really backward step and could lose now tv a lot of customers.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Purchased a stick yesterday 20 March  and thinking I have made a bad choice over  a rival product. Unfortunately I only get FTTC at 8 Mbps which means if the wife uses her iPad I cannot use Nowtv. My router is in the next room and everything is Ethernet routed so I was wondered if moving the router (BT hub 6) to the tv would it make a difference, moving will not be easy. Only use the 720 and not HD and just have movie pack which seems a waste at the moment. Sky reckoned 2.5 Mbps should be ok. AmI on a failed mission?

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Moving the router into the same room shouldn't be necessary if it's just next door, having the router too close to a wifi device can cause more problems than it solves. You could try rebooting your broadband router though to make sure it's on the best wireless channel for your home. Having the stick stuck behind a TV, particularly if it's not well shielded or has built in wifi itself could cause issues where wifi reception is poor, try different HDMI ports on the TV or if you have a little HDMI extender cable lying around the house try that. Plugging in with the power adapter rather than USB cable might be worth a try as well. Restarting the stick will also make it choose between 2.4GHz and 5GHz depending on which it thinks is best.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

thanks for that. Says my connection is good. Tried other hdmi ports pretty much the same but will try  your other suggestions including looking for  short hdmi cable.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User I wouldn't bother buying a cable as there's no guarantee it will help but if you have one lying around it would be useful to try. Rebooting router and/or looking at wifi channels/5GHz vs 2.4GHz is probably worth trying. 

You could also try disabling Smart Setup on your BT Hub to see if that makes any difference, I would expect it only to be a factor in connecting devices initially but it's sometimes been suggested on the forum as a magic cure for BT woes and can't do any harm so you might as well try.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-i-turn-it-on-and-off%3F

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Smart already disabled on router. Just started to watch a film and it’s ok but will have to see if it stalls later, fingers crossed.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Spent over 30 mins on nowtv chat line and did not gain anything. Spent all the time asking me repeatedly for my account details and in the end I told them that it’s taking too long and signed off. Got an email from them saying press the button for 6 secs, what button and if this didn’t work change my browser to Firefox or explorer and I don’t understand what this has to do with the problem. Stripped my tv system down and changed everything around. When I watch a movie I lose the internet connection for a couple of secs and then it rights itself which is better than losing the connection altogether.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just got mine 2 day I used a WiFi extender I bought from Aldi and everything works fine hope this helps