cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lenturn
Scholar 2

Really bad wi-fi on stick

For some reason I'm having really bad wi-fi issues on my brand new stick, both 2G and 5G.

It's either not connecting, taking ages to connect and then losing connection, or just plain bad picture and buffering.

I can't understand as my Smart Box works perfectly well over wi-fi, so it doesn't seem to be my internet connection.

All getting rather frustrating now.

24 REPLIES 24
lenturn
Scholar 2

Thinking it might be down to a rogue HDMI cable causing interference, what with the stick being in such close proximity to the back of the tv and all the cables.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@lenturn It is possible, also possible it could be stray emissions from the rear of the TV or just generally poor wifi reception tucked away behind a big metal electrical appliance (or some other reason).. Have you tried different HDMI ports, or rebooting your broadband router to make sure it's on a good channel. If you have a HDMI extension cable try that so the stick isn't flush to the TV. If you use an AV amp you could also try plugging it into the amp rather than the TV. Check under Settings > Network to see if it's reporting poor wifi.

lenturn
Scholar 2

Hi  @Andy I've removed an old HDMI cable that I know has caused problems with tv reception in the past, and while things have improved somewhat , it's still not as good as it was with the other Now boxes.

I've ordered a little connector that will enable me to attach the stick to the end of the original HDMI cable that I used to have connected to the Now box. Hopefully this might ensure the stick is far enough away to eliminate any interference problems in future, but we'll see. 

Regards.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ive found the wifi reception on the new stick so poor and variable that i`ve reverted back to the far more stable and reliable black box.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The wi-fi is ok! It depends what area you are in and the quality of TV that you have!

lenturn
Scholar 2

@Anonymous Userwrote:

Ive found the wifi reception on the new stick so poor and variable that i`ve reverted back to the far more stable and reliable black box.

I'm beginning to come to the same conclusion. Smiley Sad

Moved the box downstairs tonight, where we normally have a Smart box in use via wireless.

Started watching a film via the stick which buffered constantly, but via the smart box wi-fi, it ran smoothly.

So far not impressed. 

nickmorc
Expert 2

I too, have started to see this on my new stick. Last night while watching the DC legends, I thought my broadband had nearly gound to halt, as the picture quality went to that of an old VHS video.

Tried a speedtest, all good showing our usual speed of 75 Mbps.

After about 30 minutes the stick reverted back to a good picture, same thing happened again later on.

Never had this issue on the old faithful black boxes, but will continue to monitor.

nickmorc
Expert 2

Someone has raised the same problem on another forum.

Has Now Tv, recently experianced some issues with their servers, which would explain the issue. (Appears to have effected both new and old kit ) Poor picture quality, as if your your broadband speed has dropped but it has not.

lenturn
Scholar 2

@nickmorcwrote:

Someone has raised the same problem on another forum.

Has Now Tv, recently experianced some issues with their servers, which would explain the issue. (Appears to have effected both new and old kit ) Poor picture quality, as if your your broadband speed has dropped but it has not.

There seems to be a problem at the Now TV end, with users of other devices saying that they're having bad performance streaming. It may be a coincidence that the problems seemed to arise just when I installed the stick, but I'm still monitoring it.

I've moved the stick to the end of an HDMI cable using a female/female connector to keep it away from anything that might be causing interference, but it doesn't seem to have had much effect. It doesn't appear to be a problem with my internet, so it's either the Now TV service or their equipment that's at fault.