cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Power Saving Mode

My stick has stopped going into power saving mode, It now permanently stays in screen saving mode. * bouncing now tv logo )

After 10 or so minutes of inactivity it goes into screen saving mode, And then after 4 hours of inactivity it used to go into power/sleep saving mode.

I have gone into settings unchecked then checked the switch off in 4 hours but has made no difference and the stick it very warm 24 hours a day even when tv is turned off.

Do I need a new stick? How long is average life span of a stick? Mine is around 1 and a half years old.

Kind Regards

Cheryl

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

A factory reset would also fix any corrupted software on your Stick, but these are the instructions below how to go into the secret menu on your Stick to undertake a forced software update.

This updates your software, fixing any faults in the process.

• Start by pressing your NOW TV remote control buttons in this order:

Home x5
Fast Forward x3
Rewind x2

• Select the Update Software option that appears on the next screen.
  • Press OK, even if you already have the latest version. 

If your Sony TV has the suitable USB on it (5V DC 1A) which might not be provided on older TV's where neither of my two much older Panasonic Plasma TV's from 2009 and 2010 have the suitable USB port on them.

Then if the USB port can power the Stick reliably without the low power warning message on your television screen, then i would go down the USB route rather than the mains adapter.

Mainly because you have the need for one less plug in your mains outlet socket and the Stick should automatically power off (on most televisions) when you switch the TV into standby mode.

There shouldn't be any noticeable difference in performance wise either way between using the mains supplied adapter or television USB port (as long has the television USB port can output the right constant power supply to run the Stick).

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hi Cheryl

First, I'm not a stick user so my advice is going to be general, so here goes:

1) Do a full factory reset.  You will have to re-register your details and re-install your apps once the process is complete.  But the process should take your stick back down to zero and so kill any corruption or software blockage that may have built up over time during usage.

2) Always switch off your stick from the mains when not in use.  Now, I don't know how practical that is for the stick but, from my own experience, I get consistence performance when I switch my Roku 3 off when not being used, i.e. Now TV Internet streamers are based on Roku devices. 

Hope this helps.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @ukbobboy 

Thank you UkBob,  I will give that a give that a go,   A full factory reset as that sounds a good idea, 

As for unplugglng that's what I would like to have been able to do, but its not easy to get to the power sockets as they are behind a large heavy unit with large tv on top and it has to be pulled out, So will have to look into that one.

I will  do the factory reset later and will let you know of the result, Fingers crossed

Cheryl

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I am guessing your television hasn't got a suitable USB port to power the Stick off ?

Where with my Panasonic TV once in standby mode it drops the power on the television USB port which in turn powers off my Roku Stick plus.

I have noticed on my NowTV 4K Smart box it never now goes into power save mode and the white light on the front of the box remains on all the time since a newer firmware update, where i have reported this to the relevant NowTV Team.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @schnapps 

Thank you for your reply, To be honest I am not sure if my tv has a suitable USB port as when my son purchased the stick for me he just plugged it into the mains, I Will have to ask him to take a look next time he is over, The tv is Sony Bravia  40inch and is around 8 or 9 years old !!! but it is in lovely condition and fingers crossed its still in great working condition, So not sure if old TV's from that period have USB ports?

@ukbobboy  has suggested to do a full factory reset, I am hoping this will solve the issue, I will do the reset soon but then will have to wait 4 hours of inactivity to see if it has been resolved.

Just out of interest do the now tv sticks have a short life span? Could it be that I just need a new stick?

Cheryl

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

It sounds to me that your Stick is fine and doesn't need replacing, where the Auto power save mode is not working might be a recent software release problem or a corrupted bit of software on your Stick where a forced software by going into the secret menu usually fixes it (unless NowTV have intentionally removed the power save feature ?).

I did ask the question when i emailed the relevant NowTV Team about my NowTV 4K Smart box and didn't get an answer either way which doesn't help 😠.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @schnapps 

I have seen on here in other posts people mention the  " Secret Menu"  So I have no idea on how to access this menu ?

One other thing, If my tv does have a USB port is this the better way to power the stick? Or better to power using the mains?

Sorry asking all these questions,  I am old school and 67 years old and my son and the community has helped me learn the basics but there is still a great deal I don't know yet 🙂

Cheryl

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

A factory reset would also fix any corrupted software on your Stick, but these are the instructions below how to go into the secret menu on your Stick to undertake a forced software update.

This updates your software, fixing any faults in the process.

• Start by pressing your NOW TV remote control buttons in this order:

Home x5
Fast Forward x3
Rewind x2

• Select the Update Software option that appears on the next screen.
  • Press OK, even if you already have the latest version. 

If your Sony TV has the suitable USB on it (5V DC 1A) which might not be provided on older TV's where neither of my two much older Panasonic Plasma TV's from 2009 and 2010 have the suitable USB port on them.

Then if the USB port can power the Stick reliably without the low power warning message on your television screen, then i would go down the USB route rather than the mains adapter.

Mainly because you have the need for one less plug in your mains outlet socket and the Stick should automatically power off (on most televisions) when you switch the TV into standby mode.

There shouldn't be any noticeable difference in performance wise either way between using the mains supplied adapter or television USB port (as long has the television USB port can output the right constant power supply to run the Stick).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps 

Hi @schnapps 

Wow thank you for taking the time to explain and give me all that information, It does make me feel better having a better understanding of all this 🙂  Will let you know how I get on.

Thank you again for all your help and information

Kind Regards

Cheryl

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps 

Hi @schnapps @ukbobboy 

I managed to access the secret menu, And done a software update, Waited  just over 4 hours of inactivity, It seems to have done the trick as when I switched over to the stick  it was in power/sleep mode 🙂

Before posting I was convinced the stick needed replacing so you have saved me the bother of buying a new stick 🙂

Thank you for your help guys

Cheryl