cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Nowtv stick setup error can someone please help?

Hi I bought a now tv stick today

17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks I am going to try it in another house after work.  It's all very bizarre as I assumed using mobile data and not my broadband would have bypassed any router issues?   But it's as if the fault stays "stored" in the box even after factory reset as when scanning for available WiFi networks it still shows my home broadband along with mobile hotspot even when I unplug the router and phone line complet Ely! 

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps  @Anonymous User 

Hi Schnapps

If David manages to setup one or more of his devices in someone else's home then I would be inclined to believe that his security firmware (firewall/DMZ), within his router, has been updated by his ISP.

Still, we will not know for sure until he gets back to the forum.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi folks just a quick update

i performed another factory reset and tried the box in a relatives house on their network and still get the problem

whatever has initially caused this fault on 3 devices has become a "permanent" fault on all three devices and a factory reset does not clear it.  The fault has remained on the devices and permanently broken them

one thing I noticed that when connecting to a network there are only two ticks available to go green instead of three - the part that says "your network" is missing completely the only two options are wireless and Internet.

ive ended up buying s rocky stick which despite being the exact same menus and set up has worked perfectly.

no idea what else could have caused this I didn't know a software fault could remain on a device despite numerous factory resets and the online help team are useless and barely speak english

thank you for your help but I've had enough now to to last me a lifetime

Anonymous User
Not applicable

"Roku stick"

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Sorry i wasn't much help and i am still baffled how you couldn't get the nowtv sticks or the nowtv box working (especially when you mentioned you tried the box over wifi and Ethernet).

Where the Roku (which runs similar software) worked and connected first time onto your home network.

Anyway glad you got it sorted and out of curisoity did you buy the Roku Express or the Roku Stick Plus ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi it was the Roku express

I have no idea what's happened with the nowtv stuff.

The initial error occurred on each one after it gave me an activation code and asked me "Is this you David? " and asked me to log in to the nowtv account I had created 

As soon as I logged in it displayed the oops page which then became a permanent fault on each device so I don't know if a problem linked to my username or account has caused it?  But for the fault to remain after factory reset is very strange.  You simply get stuck in an endless cycle of the get started and the oops pages.  So frustrating

Anyway thanks for all your help it was much appreciated

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Reading your last post above, it looks like i totally misunderstood all your previous posts sorry Smiley Sad.

Where i was under the impression that the six digit activation code was accepted on the nowtv website and the "oops error message" was on your TV screen when you tried to proceed to the next stage of getting the stick working.

This message is nothing to do with your router or ISP and it sounds to me some sort of error conflict between your Internet browser device and the nowtv website software when entering or activating this code.

Not sure how to fix the above to be honest, where sometimes customers come across issues on the nowtv website such has pages constantly loading & won't open etc.

Where then i would normally suggest forum members to try a different internet browser with the ad blocker disabled or use your internet browser in a private window or incognito mode (though i don't think these recommendations would have helped in your case).

I own a Roku Express which is an excellent streaming device and IMO it is more versatile with more Apps than the NowTV stick if you are not bothered with the voice search or the volume adjust on the NowTV stick smart remote.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi you are correct

The 6 digit code was given to me on the very first set up of each device.  When I emerged it on my phone and put my details in,  my TV screen then instantly changed to the oops page