cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Nowtv Sick and BBC iplayer

I have just replaced my not tv box with a Now tv stick and all seems to be okay apart from BBC iPlayer. 

I start the BBC iPlayer and it starts loading but then after about a minute times out with an error message. 

BBC iPlayer worked okay on the now tv box so I factory rest rest the now tv stick to see if this rectified the problem but no change. 

Can an anyone Help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

The error message is intended to be informative, giving some clue, perhaps, to what has gone wrong.

Can you please go on the iPlayer again, make a note of the error message, and give it here?

If you have any other ways of watching the BBC iPlayer, can you please try them and see if they work, or if you get the same, or a different, error?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

The error message is intended to be informative, giving some clue, perhaps, to what has gone wrong.

Can you please go on the iPlayer again, make a note of the error message, and give it here?

If you have any other ways of watching the BBC iPlayer, can you please try them and see if they work, or if you get the same, or a different, error?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi RoyB.

This is the message I get  

Regards

Morgan

A377A4FC-EC45-4BE4-9651-5FC75C7F56DE.jpeg

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

And not much to help at that suggested website.... 😞

I’ve just tried the iPlayer on my Stick; it works fine. Nor much comfort for you perhaps, but at least it shows the problem isn’t generic.

One thing, when you Factory Reset the NowTV Stick, it has to be powered on, and you have to hold the button in for 15-30 seconds; if you just press the button, briefly, it reboots, and this can look like it’s reset but it hasn’t.

When it’s really reset, the Stick wakes up in ‘where am I?’ mode, and you have to input all your settings again.

Was this the reset that you did? If not, try again, but with the much longer press.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB 

Hi,

I have now managed to use iPlayer on the Nowtv Stick but as the error message states this is intermittent. Sometimes it works but mostly it does not.

At at least I know it works.

I have now tried various setup scenarios and believe there may be a compatibility issue with my talktalk router. I will continue investigating and hopefully resolve the issue

Thank you you for your help. 

Regards

Morgan

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Did you manage to work out what was going on, I have the same issue and it failed more than it works. Tried removing the app, forcing a stick firmware update via the secret menu and reset but it still complains.

NB the URL it gives doesn't exist which makes me think the app is out of date.

I'm also on talktalk. Other devices work fine on iPlayer

Anonymous User
Not applicable

BBC iplayer was working fine on my old Now TV box, but since upgrading to the new stick earlier today, I'm having exactly the same problem with the same error message. I'm also on TalkTalk for my broadband.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the iPlayer app with no success. Also rebooting the stick and the router itself.

The workaround I've found is to go straight to a show via the home screen rather than into the app directly. Sign into the iplayer and the show will start. Then navigate to the iPlayer home screen where you can use the app as normal.

This isn't good enough though, Sky.

I've "upgraded" to a device which doesn't work as well as the one it's replaced! What's going on?!

I hope the workaround helps anyone having the same problem until this gets properly resolved.