cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowTV Stick going in the bin

I am now fed up with the NowTV stick and it going in the bin to be replaced by a FireTV stick. The new NowTV firmware update keeps saying "Connecting" and yes I can press back to get to the menus but that is rubbish. The final nail in its coffin though is the impossibility to get a decent wifi password accepted. I have read the "advice" to use lower case with no special characters or spaces and frankly that stinks. Every other device I have accepts the password and I don't see why I need to downgrade the strength of a password because NowTV can't cope with special characters. Not good enough in 2020.

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm going to add to my gripes the fact that the NowTV stick acts like a mini room heater and will not go into a low power mode. Even setting the 4 hour power off mode only locks up the device and it still acts like a room heater.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

You do know a Firestick doesn’t offer the same programmes?

At least, not at any price I’d ever pay to watch them there.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I mostly watch the free catch up players like iPlayer and YouTube which are on both. I only rarely watched NowTV anyway for films (subscribe for a month once in a while) and that selection has deteriorated and I even struggled to find a few to watch over Christmas. 

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User  @RoyB 

Hi Pete

You do know you can buy a Roku device instead and, like most people, I've found Roku has more choice, better facilities and seem to be of better quality.

UK Bob

RoyB
Legend

@ukbobboy @Anonymous User 

Yes, the Roku stick is certainly my choice, as it has NowTV on it as a proper separate app, and doesn’t do the Klein bottle thing that NowTV on a NowTV Stick now does.

And it has Amazon Prime, so you don’t even have to choose.

I only put the NowTV stick back on to see the terrible new interface, and it was the Roku stick that got bumped out of my six so I could try it.

One minute past midnight tonight, it’s going to regain its rightful place.

(Community Contributors ought to get 12 devices, or unlimited swaps - I don’t mind which, but one or the other please).

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.