cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowTV Stick - activation never completes as it keeps downloading and installing a software update

Hi,

No idea what to do other than return. I must have downloaded and installed a software update 20 times in succession.

Yes I did a reset.

Known issue or faulty stick?

thanks

7 REPLIES 7
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Have you tried the stick on another television in the home (if applicable) or can you move the Router any closer to where the television is located with the stick ?

When you say you have reset the stick was that a full factory reset by holding in the small reset button on the stick for about 15 to 20 seconds with both the stick and television switched on until hopefully you see the "Lets Get Started" message on your television screen ? .

Then start the setup and stick activation process again.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The router is about 20 cm from the router. So that should not be an issue.

What happens is as folllows:

Pus stick in HDMI slot
Went thru usual steps
COnnects to wireless network
Tells me it needs a software update
Downloads that update
Restarts
Gets the pink NowTv screen
The transitions to the Kets ge started screen
Looks for wireless network
Brings up the previous wifi network
I select that
Brings me to the password entry screen
Password is there so I press connect
COnnects to the internet
Then tells me there is an update available
Repeats to infinity
It seems that it is not applying the downloaded sorfware

I held down the reset button for 30 seconds

Same things - downloads the software update but does not seems to correctly install it

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

20cm to me sounds too close between your Router and Stick.

What happens if you move the Router about a metre or two from the stick when trying another factory reset ?

Apart from that i am out of ideas (unless anybody else on the forum as come across this or can offer some more things to try).

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Out of curiosity who is your ISP and what Router are you using where it could be something in your Router settings that is blocking the software update on your Stick.

On your Router have you made any adjustments from its default settings such has blocking websites for example ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable
VirginMedia Ireland
Not exactly sure of the router make. But I only got it about 6 months ago - so their latest
I have not configured it in any way.
I might hotspot my phone and see if that works just to eliminate that from the equation.
If that doesnt work then I am brining it back to the shop to swap for another one

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Using a wifi hotspot on your phone might do the trick.

Then once the Stick is fully setup and activated re connect the stick over wifi back on your Router by going into the stick settings under Network.

Sorry i am not familiar with Virgin Hub Routers (though i believe they have a guest mode option on them that you could try).

Anonymous User
Not applicable
facepalm

First of all thanks for all of your replies. It inspired me to persevere.
I forgot the first rule of hardware - "if in doubt, reboot"
I restarted the router - and Robert became my uncle!

It all worked.

Huge thanks for your replies.......