cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowTV Stick Overheating - Alternative Solutions?

Upgraded at the weekend from an old white NowTV Box to the new Stick.

First impressions are very good - much faster for sure.  Only problem I've had though tonight is the overheat message appearing regularly while I was watching a 20 minute video on youtube.  I checked the temps through the secret menu and it was running at 112 degrees so rather warm!

I've got it plugged into an HDMI switch box away from any heat sources on the middle shelf of the TV unit which is open all around and I'm using the power supply that came with the box.

Even just left on standby the stick is very warm to the touch which is slightly concerning as far as longevity goes!

I'm contemplating removing it from the plastic case and building a heatsink up for it as I've got a few spares around that would probably do the trick.  If I can help it I'd rather not need a fan to cool it but if that's what it takes then I'll build an enclosure to allow that.

Just wondered if anyone else has found a solution to the heat build up at all?

Leigh

17 REPLIES 17
Matthew1234567
Scholar 3

Possible solution could be place in freezer bag in freezer for a couple of hours, that should make things run cooler for a while !

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's an issue that plagues the Roku + stick too, rokus current solution is to use a hdmi extender, which you can order free from their website.

Wonder if they cover the nowtv sticks with this?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

It's an issue that plagues the Roku + stick too, rokus current solution is to use a hdmi extender, which you can order free from their website.

Wonder if they cover the nowtv sticks with this?

I am using mine with an extender and plenty of space around and got the overheating message. This is the original now tv stick that came out last year. Will switch to a newer one I got a few weeks ago and see if that fares better (at half time of Everton game).  It is warm today but not that hot. Just 23 degrees and I have curtains drawn.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,ive just turned my tv on within  the last half hr..My picture was jumping a little,so went to unplug the now tv stick,and found it to be really hot,this has got me worried, and dont understand how it could warm up that quick in half hr..What else could I use,so I can still watch now tv,but not plugged into my tv,a kind of extension..Any tips please..x

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Well Mel

You could try an HDMI extension cable, this will move your Now TV stick away from the back of your TV, and TV's heat, and allow you to position the stick in a cooler area.

Check out this Amazon page:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=hdmi+extension+cable&i=electronics&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

UK Bob

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

I would agree with @ukbobboy it is best to not plug the stick directly into the TV for both HDMI and I would go as far to also say USB. 

What has worked for me is plugging the stick into a socket and then disconnecting the cable at the stick whenever the TV is not on, obviously this is not ideal, but I feel the stick is not a great build at all. Considering my Roku and Amazon sticks never encountered this issue.

If you wanted to leave the device plugged in permanently I found when I had the Now TV Smart box, there was no issues with overheating. So could be worth investing in the box? As I feel the Stick is decent enough for brief usage. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

After taping a metal Stanley knife to the stick..

It seams to be transferring the heat to the knife.

Fingers crossed.....lol

Anonymous User
Not applicable

the stanley knife sort of worked.

i managed to get about 4 hours use before the overheating message came back.

i split the stanley knife into two pieces and then taped it to the stick.sort of worked.lol

now tv stick....what a joke