cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowTV Stick Overheating - Alternative Solutions?

Upgraded at the weekend from an old white NowTV Box to the new Stick.

First impressions are very good - much faster for sure.  Only problem I've had though tonight is the overheat message appearing regularly while I was watching a 20 minute video on youtube.  I checked the temps through the secret menu and it was running at 112 degrees so rather warm!

I've got it plugged into an HDMI switch box away from any heat sources on the middle shelf of the TV unit which is open all around and I'm using the power supply that came with the box.

Even just left on standby the stick is very warm to the touch which is slightly concerning as far as longevity goes!

I'm contemplating removing it from the plastic case and building a heatsink up for it as I've got a few spares around that would probably do the trick.  If I can help it I'd rather not need a fan to cool it but if that's what it takes then I'll build an enclosure to allow that.

Just wondered if anyone else has found a solution to the heat build up at all?

Leigh

17 REPLIES 17
Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

Upgraded at the weekend from an old white NowTV Box to the new Stick.

First impressions are very good - much faster for sure.  Only problem I've had though tonight is the overheat message appearing regularly while I was watching a 20 minute video on youtube.  I checked the temps through the secret menu and it was running at 112 degrees so rather warm!

I've got it plugged into an HDMI switch box away from any heat sources on the middle shelf of the TV unit which is open all around and I'm using the power supply that came with the box.

Even just left on standby the stick is very warm to the touch which is slightly concerning as far as longevity goes!

I'm contemplating removing it from the plastic case and building a heatsink up for it as I've got a few spares around that would probably do the trick.  If I can help it I'd rather not need a fan to cool it but if that's what it takes then I'll build an enclosure to allow that.

Just wondered if anyone else has found a solution to the heat build up at all?

Leigh

Making a heatsink would be a great DIY project but tell me this @Anonymous User If you use the USB power source from the TV what kind of temps are you running?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

That's one thing I haven't tried as the TV has no USB out (it's quite an old set) so the only USB source is the one that I've plugged into or the back of the Virgin v6 box which hasn't got enough power to drive the stick (already tried it).

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Just bear in mind that opening the stick will void any warranty. 

Another possible solution for sticks that get very warm is to try a HDMI-extender cable (or adaptor to use a standard HDMI cable as an extension) so that the stick is further away from the back of the TV and ventilation is better, however there's no guarantee this would help so personally I wouldn't buy a cable if you don't already have one handy.

However whilst the stick does run hot, I've never had the overheating warning come up, and I've not seen any reports of it on the forum, so it could well be your stick is faulty and personally if common sense steps to increase ventilation doesn't work I'd take it back to the retailer for a replacement. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Andy wrote:

@Anonymous User Just bear in mind that opening the stick will void any warranty. 

Another possible solution for sticks that get very warm is to try a HDMI-extender cable (or adaptor to use a standard HDMI cable as an extension) so that the stick is further away from the back of the TV and ventilation is better, however there's no guarantee this would help so personally I wouldn't buy a cable if you don't already have one handy.

However whilst the stick does run hot, I've never had the overheating warning come up, and I've not seen any reports of it on the forum, so it could well be your stick is faulty and personally if common sense steps to increase ventilation doesn't work I'd take it back to the retailer for a replacement. 

For £15 I'm not exactly too fussed about the warranty but a solution will undoubtedly require a strip down.

I'm not anywhere near the TV at all, but on a shelf on the TV stand attached to a HDMI switcher.

Tonight I pulled the case off (really easy to do) and ran the stick bare for a bit.  Same problem as before while watching a youtube video and overheating.

So, I have a few spare 30mmx30mm heat sinks which I have left over from an RC plane build (I used them to keep the motor controllers cool on a 7 foot span Vulcan) and with the over heat errors showing up every minute or so I placed one on top of the exposed interior panel which is kind of a heatsink that wraps around the stick internals.

Instantly the errors stopped and haven't re-appeared for over an hour!

So I've now attached the heatsink to the top of the stick using thermal conductive adhesive tape and checked the temps.

Previously with the stick in the case it was idling at 112 degrees.  With the stick bare it was 110 degrees so a slight improvement.  With the added heatsink on top I got it down to 103 degrees and adding second one underneath has brought it down to a much more manageable 90 degrees.

Yes it looks a bit ugly, but it sits behind the centre speaker for the cinema surround set up so it's hidden well enough and still in plenty of open space.

Will monitor things and see how they hold up but early signs are very promising!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

That's the issue with new sticks, has not really been fully tested and its just out. Hopefully future versions will be better. 

A possible alternative is a cooling cradle with a similar setup but heat sink fan and stick with compund but not opened up to not void warranty. Obviously not as great as your set up but should provide some cooling. 

Seems they have used the cheapest processor chips rather than a very low energy processor

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

For £15 I'm not exactly too fussed about the warranty but a solution will undoubtedly require a strip down.

I'm not anywhere near the TV at all, but on a shelf on the TV stand attached to a HDMI switcher.

Tonight I pulled the case off (really easy to do) and ran the stick bare for a bit.  Same problem as before while watching a youtube video and overheating.

So, I have a few spare 30mmx30mm heat sinks which I have left over from an RC plane build (I used them to keep the motor controllers cool on a 7 foot span Vulcan) and with the over heat errors showing up every minute or so I placed one on top of the exposed interior panel which is kind of a heatsink that wraps around the stick internals.

So I've now attached the heatsink to the top of the stick using thermal conductive adhesive tape and checked the temps.

Previously with the stick in the case it was idling at 112 degrees.  With the stick bare it was 110 degrees so a slight improvement.  With the added heatsink on top I got it down to 103 degrees and adding second one underneath has brought it down to a much more manageable 90 degrees.

Yes it looks a bit ugly, but it sits behind the centre speaker for the cinema surround set up so it's hidden well enough and still in plenty of open space.

Will monitor things and see how they hold up but early signs are very promising!

Hi @Anonymous User.

If the stick is overheating like that, then it should have been returned under warranty as it is clearly faulty . I have brought two of these sticks and have no issues with overheating.

I hope that you  new setup solves your issues , but if it doesn't, you now couldn't return it under warranty. Even if you wanted to

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Andy wrote:

WOW, amazing stuff. 23 degrees of difference is insane. If i ever buy a stick i'll be doing the same, might even mess with some liquid metal and see how that goes.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

What a joke.

Brought it today.

First time I've used it.

Went on you tube n 20mins in overheating message on the screen.

Just taped a metal Stanley knife to it to act as a heat shield.

If it don't work this piece of ###### stick is going back for a refund.

How can such a big company sell a ###### stick...my new name for it.... Knowing it's faulty...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I can’t offer an alternative solution I’m sorry but Would like to throw people a word of caution as my stick overheated so much it broke my tv completely! No warning of over heating, whole power went off and won’t come back on again. Sad times and I’d only had it a few days