cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now tv stick v box

What is the difference between buying a now tv box or stick? Do they do the same things? If so, why choose one over the other? 

9 REPLIES 9
RoyB
Legend

Beats me.

These people might know Smiley Tongue

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
ukbobboy
Legend

@RoyB  @Anonymous User 

You know Guys

I'd go for a Roku stick instead, it's more expensive but it has more facilities, i.e. more channels than just the Now TV ones and the ability to stream music from your digital music database, if you have one or planning to have one in the future.

UK Bob

RoyB
Legend

I have a Roku box for its versatility.

But in the bad old days of four devices and one swap a month, the Stick (which could indeed have been a Roku Stick) was invaluable for its easy ability to roam from room to room with me - and indeed from home to elsewhere - when there were about seven TVs I could conceivably want to plug it into over any given month.

But the six device limit is nearly enough now Smiley Tongue

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
ukbobboy
Legend

@RoyB  @Anonymous User 

Yeah, I've got a Roku 3 box as well, also for it's great versatility (playing some Barry White at the mo), but Roku no longer make a streaming box for the UK market.  And as I do prefer the box over the stick, I'm currently waiting for an upgrade to the Roku 3 box to be released.

UK Bob

PS. I could buy a Roku Ultra from the US but would not be able to use some important UK channels, like the BBC iPlayer.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

As far as I know, the box has a built in freeview tuner whereas the stick does not.

Also, be aware that the sticks seem to run hotter than the deepest pits of bloody hell.  I don't know if the box suffers the same problem but I'm not going to buy one just to find out.  NowTV's only suggestion for this seems to be "if it's overheating, stop using it".

So that's exactly what I'm doing and going to Amazon Prime.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Unfortunately DTG

They don't make that Freeview Internet streaming box anymore and you'll be hard pushed to buy one outside of the secondhand market place.

Maybe sometime in the future Now TV may introduce an updated model, but the way they quickly got rid of it makes me kinda believe it wasn't a success.

But you never know.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Box or stick.. Why is the box so much more expensive that a stick. What more can it do ?

Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User there were 3 iterations of a NowTV box all now discontinued - one with the same functions as the stick, one with 4k capabilities (for use with 4k compatible apps) and one with a Freeview tuner (for terrestrial television).

If you are seeing odd bits of stock available from online retailers, the prices are inflated from what they were originally on sale for and not representative of the functions they have.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It is a shame as the NowTV Freeview box had the potential to be the best of both worlds but it was hampered and even now still hasn't been updated like the other ones have.