cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now tv stick on/off button

I have just received my now tv stick and unfortunately the on/off button does not work on my tv. My tv does not go to standby. Everything else works. I have a Panasonic tv

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

My Panasonic TV didn't pick up the remote infra code automatically during initial setup of the smart remote.

What you need to do is follow these instructions from the Roku Help Guide linked below and instead of pressing the OK button when the music stops continue to press No until it manually cycles through approx 40 infra red code numbers for a Panasonic TV.

Start from code 1 and take a note of the number when the music stops press yes then try both the on/off and volume buttons, should one of the buttons only work continue on to the next code when the music stops and keep trying until it hopefully finds the right Panasonic code number which works on your television.

You need a little patience and keep writing the code that you last tried so you know how far you got.

On my Panasonic TV the code number that worked both the volume and standby buttons was code 24 and took me about 10 to 15 minutes to find.

Here's the Roku instructions which is similar to the NowTV smart remote.

https://support.roku.com/en-gb/article/115013019828-how-do-i-set-up-my-roku-enhanced-remote-to-control-my-tv- 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
RoyB
Legend

Hi @Anonymous User 

Besides pairing the Smart Remote with your Stick, you also have to pair it with your TV.
This is a separate process, and works slightly differently, thus:-

Go to Settings/Remotes on the Stick, where you should see

‘My paired devices’ Remote (In use).  Or something similar.

Go across and down, to highlight ‘Remote (In use)’.

There you should see ‘About’ and ‘Set up remote for TV control’.

Choose the ‘Set up’ option and work through it.

These instructions may have come in the box with the Stick, but I’m blowed if I can find them in the NowTV Help, which seems to be a considerable omission.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi thanks so much for this, however everything on the remote works except the power button even after using this and doing the set up! It’s very strange, it may be due to such an old television but it will not go to standby 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Did you do the music thing, whereby it asks if you can hear it playing, and then asks if it has stopped?

There are only three buttons that control the TV - the Power button at the top, and the volume up/down buttons on the side of the Stick top right.

Do these two buttons work?

What is the model of TV - I see you said the make was Panasonic - that you are trying to control?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

My Panasonic TV didn't pick up the remote infra code automatically during initial setup of the smart remote.

What you need to do is follow these instructions from the Roku Help Guide linked below and instead of pressing the OK button when the music stops continue to press No until it manually cycles through approx 40 infra red code numbers for a Panasonic TV.

Start from code 1 and take a note of the number when the music stops press yes then try both the on/off and volume buttons, should one of the buttons only work continue on to the next code when the music stops and keep trying until it hopefully finds the right Panasonic code number which works on your television.

You need a little patience and keep writing the code that you last tried so you know how far you got.

On my Panasonic TV the code number that worked both the volume and standby buttons was code 24 and took me about 10 to 15 minutes to find.

Here's the Roku instructions which is similar to the NowTV smart remote.

https://support.roku.com/en-gb/article/115013019828-how-do-i-set-up-my-roku-enhanced-remote-to-control-my-tv- 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User @schnapps 

Note that these Roku instructions, while close to how this operates on a NowTV Stick, aren’t quite the same.

But if you use the instructions I gave above to get to ‘Set up remote for TV control’, then from there it does go on pretty much as @schnapps describes, and should get you to where you want to be to have the remote working your TV.

My remotes have always paired with the TVs straight off (probably one of the joys of having Samsungs) but I tried lying to it about what works, and sure enough, it went clocking up through TV codes; and at code 3, when I told it the truth again, it exited.

Leaving me with a pairing where volume up/down works, but On/off doesn’t.

I’ve rescued it since 😛

RoyB
Legend

Another consideration is to be running the Stick off its external power supply, so when you test the On/off, the Stick is still there, just waiting for you, when you turn the TV on again.

My Stick usually runs off a USB port on the TV, which powers down when the TV is put into standby, so that rather disrupts the plan, as I found out 😮

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Yes the other buttons work for the tv. Yes the music thing I did As well