cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now tv stick keeps loosing internet vs now tv box which doesn’t

Hi all. 

just after some advice on the new tv stick I bought recently. It’s all set up fine but for some reason it keeps loosing the internet. Every time I put it on it brings up an error message something like sorry something went wrong we’ll be back shortly. Then when it does work the picture on sky sports is like I’m streaming it and goes all fuzzy and blurry. Today I gave up with it and plugged in my old now tv box, this is working like a dream, and hasn’t dropped internet at all. 

has anyone else had this trouble?

6 REPLIES 6
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

How far is the NowTV stick away from your Router ?

Does your Television have a side HDMI port rather than all the HDMI ports on the back of the television ?

Where plugging the stick in a side facing HDMI port may improve the wifi reception signal received by the stick.

Is your Router dual band and have you tried both 2.4ghz & 5 ghz wifi frequencies or alternative wifi channels.

Have you got a HDMI fly lead extender cable lying around the house somewhere, if so try that with the stick to move the stick slightly away from the television casing to improve the wifi reception.

If you are not using the supplied power adapter, try the power adapter with the stick instead of taking the power off the usb port on your television.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @schnapps 

No the hdmi port is on the back of the tv rather than side. It is plugged in using supplied power cables. 

my tv is in my bedroom which is at top of the stairs with router at bottom of the stairs so not very far at all - all my other devices phones etc have full WiFi upstairs. 

Moving the stick further away from tv would be only thing I can think, as my now tv box is just sitting on chest of drawers and is working perfectly. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

What happens if you temporary use the new stick on a downstairs television (assuming you have a TV downstairs) does the stick then work or are you still encountering the same symptoms ?

Did you try a different wifi channel on your Router ?

See if anything in this linked help guide article improves things on your stick.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/troubleshooting-now-tv-box-stick 

I don't use a NowTV Stick in my setup where most of my NowTV streaming devices work over Ethernet and my Roku Stick Plus has the external antenna which works really well by improving the wifi reception.

Hopefully other NowTV Stick users can offer you some further advice & help.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @schnapps 

I have tried the stick on downstairs tv which is about 4 or 5 feet away from my router. It works fine when plugged in here, which is what I don’t understand. But more confusing is that if it was my internet, or bad internet that my now tv box wouldn’t pick it up either but this works perfectly. 

thanks for the link will have a look on there. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

My guess is because the stick is such a small compact size compared to the nowtv box that the inbuilt wifi antenna on the stick is less efficient when picking up a wifi signal reception and it doesn't help when the stick is tucked away behind the television which can't help matters.

This seems to be what you are encountering between the stick and your older nowtv box.

Did you try a different wifi channel on your Router and if your Router is dual.band have you tested the stick in your bedroom on both 2.4ghz & 5ghz frequencies ?

I can't offer much further help because i don't use a stick in my setup.

Hopefully other forum members on here can offer you some further advice.

Or perhaps try live chat or take the stick back to the place you bought it from and either try a replacement stick to see if there is any improvement or ask for a full refund.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello, I've got exactly the same problem along with the dreaded 'bush TV' no sound issue!  Wish I'd never got the stick so tempted to bin it and start again with my box!