cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now tv stick has stopped working after 2 weeks

my stick worked perfectly for 2 weeks then I got an error message saying that it couldn't connect to wifi.  I have gone through all the steps in the help section turning off and unplugging router and stick, resetting to factory setting etc. But it still wouldn't connect to wifi. All other devices we use are working fine by wifi so nothing wrong with our internet. We went though all the steps again still no luck. Unplugged it for a couple of days and now when we turned it on nothing shows up on the tv screen. There is a flashing light on the stick. Any suggestions.

4 REPLIES 4
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Out of curiosity how far is your Router away from the television with the stick on it ?

Just to temporary test have you got another television in your home to see if the stick works on ?

If you television has a HDMI port on the side of the television rather than the back on the television, try the side HDMI port to see if it improves the wifi reception on the stick.

I am guessing when you said you have read all the help articles about the stick, that you have done a full factory reset by holding the reset button on the stick for about 15 to secs when both the stick and television is switched on with the television on it's correct HDMI input source from your television remote controller.

And also you have tried the power adapter plug that comes with the stick, rather than using the USB port on your television for power.

There is always the possibility that the stick has inherited a fault and needs replacing under warranty.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Schnapps,

Thank you so much for your helpful reply. We don't have another tv to try it on or another port on the side and I always use the adapter.

The online instructions said to hold the reset button for 6 secs but I tried your suggestion of 15 and it is now working again and updating itself. Our tv is quite far from the router so we have an extending device nearby which we originally connected to. It will no longer connect to it but is connecting to the weaker strength from the router.  Hopefully when the updates are finished the reception will be ok. 

Thank you again for your time and advice.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

The stick hasn't got the greatest inbuilt wifi antenna to be honest, so if the wifi signal in the room is week you may have wifi reception issues in the future with the stick.

So see if somehow you can get your wifi extender you mentioned working again.

Otherwise you could try a cheap HDMI extender fly lead for about £2 from places like Amazon, Ebay etc which will provide more free air around the stick body and may or may not help with regards to wifi signal reception but i doubt it will be a massive improvement.

Some stick owners have reported that they have either reverted back to their older nowtv box or replaced the stick with the NowTV smart box.

Hopefully the stick will remain stable for you in the future (fingers crossed).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Reception using router not great so will give the  extender a go ( £2  worth a try). 

Thanks again for your help.